Painting Internal Brickwork over previous paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Outskirter, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Outskirter

Outskirter New Member

So. I have an outside toilet in my place, which is where the boiler is (nicely out of the way). By outside toilet, I mean the door of the room opens into the garden, while two of the other walls are internal to the house.

In this room there is exposed brick work, which I plan to leave exposed (not paying to hide it away!). This has been painted in the past (no idea what with) and the paint has cracked and flaked off a bit. I have repainted this with some basic emulsion (2:3 water : paint mix) with two coats.

I have left it for about a month, and the paint work has cracked again. Possible things to note are the cold (it has been a bit nippy at times and there's no heating other than the boiler's frost checker) and the weather has been damp (especially when putting the paint on, but that was outside, I was working inside so thought that would be OK).

Now, the options as I see it to stop it cracking and flaking off is some combination of:
    - Remove all old paint (wire brush, pressure hose or similar)
    - Seal with PVA type stuff
    - Add more coats of emulsion mix
    - Use pure emulsion
    - Use proper (expensive!) brick paint

Yes, I plan to paint over the emulsion mix with pure emulsion (bathroom paint left over from my parents' painting) once solved the flaking issue.

2. Hard to know why it's flaking - or'nary emulsion might not be the most durable stuff to use, but it should stick to brickwork without issues.

These problem walls - are they the ones shared with the house, or ones with are external to the garden? If the latter, could it be damp coming through the wall from outside (is it single skin?)

Solution? I dunno. But I'm afraid it would have to start with removing all the flaky bits, and any bits wot threaten to flake.

I then wouldn't use PVA, but possibly a 'stabiliser' solution - this should soak in to any porous surface and harden to form a well-bonded seal. Mind you, if the surface isn't porous, then probably no point using it - what happens when you brush water on to a bare bit of the brickwork? Does it soak in at all?