Painting marble

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Cliffandher, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Cliffandher

Cliffandher Member

We have a marble fire surround, the surround is made up of flat slabs of marble, the trouble is it is old fashioned beige and browns which doesn't go with her indoors colour plans for the room. Can marble be painted and if so what type of paint, is it possible to get a good look with paint or will it like Sh##. I am also considering covering it with Mdf. Any ideas or tips other than get the boss to change her colour plans:)

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is it decorative or functional?
    Zinsser Bullseye 123 as a primer would probably do the job, perhaps Google it for more results.

3. Cliffandher

Cliffandher Member

Cheers Astra, Its a both really, the surround is around a gas fire, I am looking for a smooth flat finish. Do you think it would be possible to get a decent finish with paint, I am assuming a foam roller would be the type to use.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can use it on ceramic tiles.

Cliffandher likes this.
  5. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Used this (bullseye) on a ceramic tile surround and bit gave a great base to lay the finish coats on and it looks great.

Never had to light this fire so can't comment on cracking.

Cliffandher likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What about brick or stone slips for a finish.:)

7. Cliffandher

Cliffandher Member

I was looking at a thin slate sheet but the boss wants it white with slate insets along the sides and slate hearth. Walls are a light grey so the beige/brown has to go:eek:

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I bet you she won't like it after a few months.:rolleyes:

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes I know, can't see a problem with marble although would give it a good clean prior to applying anything to it. If you are going acrylic paint I find mohair rollers better.

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Stixall first, then paint?

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Get rid of the Mrs.

Joe95 likes this.
  12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Chip, u are so funny old chap

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A good idea, but probably a more expensive option...:)

Joe95 and Cliffandher like this.
  14. Cliffandher

Cliffandher Member

Thanks for replies and Mr Chippie I think your idea would be too expensive;). Going with the boxing it in idea.... when I get to it.. kitchen has taken over the decorating.:eek:

15. Cliffandher

Cliffandher Member

Well went with the boxing/cladding idea, just need to top coat and fill mitre joints around finishing plinth and grout tiling, other half can not decide if the bottom finishing should stay white or grey to match tiles... any thoughts?

Attached Files:

16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Looking good :)

Difficult to say against that carpet...

17. Cliffandher

Cliffandher Member

Are you saying there is something wrong with my choice of carpet :eek:, it is best quality Axminster cost a fortune in 1980 no doubt:p. Floors are going to be a grey oak. I am trying to find a buyer for the Axminster, I have been around all the pubs but even they are not interested.:D

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good news the local tip will take it for free!