Painting new plasterboard

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Disco Dave, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Disco Dave

Disco Dave Member

We're doing a self build and going to be painting it in a few weeks.  It's being taped and filled by the builders and I'm wondering if we should seal it with something or just paint emulsion straight onto the board?

Thanks

Dave

2. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

HI Dave,

Thinking of the ease of future redecoration my own preference would be to apply a skim coat of Thistle board finish rather than go for a painted dry lining finish.  However, it is okay to paint straight onto the plasterboard with emulsion paint.  I would recommend a first coat of a trade quality matt emulsion paint, which has been thinned approximately 20%, to even the porosity (seal) of the surface.  This is called a mist coat (a term which came from spray painting).  Products such as Dulux Trade Supermatt or Dulux Trade Fast Matt (Dululx claim this paint to be their favoured product for painting straight onto plasterboard) are suitable products for this purpose.  For your mist (first) coat I would recommend that you do not apply any emulsion paints which contain the word 'Vinyl' in their description.  Such paints may not achieve a satisfactory state of adhesion to the substrate.

Regards

Goodwill