Painting Newly Plastered Walls & Ceiling

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Richi, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Richi

Richi New Member

Hi, I'm having my garage converted and I'm about to paint the plasterboard walls and ceiling which have just been skimmed with plaster. I am ok to straight on with emulsion on a roller or should i water down the paint and or seal the walls and ceiling with something? cheers Richi

2. idontlikeit

idontlikeit New Member

Handy Andy to the rescue please hehe

3. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

4. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Richi, one thing that worries me at this stage is has the skim been allowed to dry out. I Will assume at this stage that it has. Firstly you will need to apply a mist coat, "watered down" coat of emulsion. You should always try to use a matt emulsion for misting Leyland contract emulsion thinned around 20% would be fine. You can then carry on with your painting, if you have any doubt with regard to further preparation and the condition of the skim prior to misting please ask for more advice.

Potty.

5. Richi

Richi New Member

Cheers for the feedback Potty. Yes, the plaster is dry. I am going to first coat it with matt emulsion. So the best mix is 80% water 20% emulsion? thanks again

6. potty painter

potty painter New Member

No. 80% paint 20% water.

Potty.

7. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

all the painters i know now just put the paint straight on these days.

8. really ?

i dont know anyone who doesnt ease the first coat - unless you want huge tram lines / Orange peel marks on your ceiling and potentially bad paint adhesion !

9. polly222

polly222 Member

if you want a job done
    properly.
    Most of the decorators on here wont agree with what i am going to say now but i think your right with the paint you can buy now. The contract matts etc i dont ever thin the first coat on new plaster or dry lining and i have done a lot of site work over the years.
    But every one has there own ways.
    I think these painters who say you must thin it or you will get tram lines orange peel etc just dont know how to use a roller properly.
    I am ready for the replys cheers polly

10. potty painter

potty painter New Member

It matters not whether you choose Supermatt or Contract emulsions, the application of a mist coat will give the correct penatration and better adhesion with regard to further coats.

Potty.

11. being a professional i know how to paint

Assuming this is a forum for others who arent

I can remove all traces of human interface with the paint and the surface - others who are less experienced cant.

Never used the 'new' paints so cant comment - however it seems simple to me. Thirsty surfaces (fresh plaster or bare timber for example) will draw water out of the pigment and water solution (paint)leaving more pigment and less water on the surface. Therefore making it harder to spread around. Try painting a piece of paper with golden syrup, then with coloured water - see which has less lines and texture, and which you can peel off as one sheet when dry !

12. polly222 if you get asked back on your no-mist-coat jobs you will we horrified to find that all the paint comes off onto your roller. The biggest painting nightmare which can really mess up someones quote / day. Mist coating is not a superstition there is a very good reason for it - adhesion.

13. polly222

polly222 Member

Britney
    i have never had any paint come of in the last twenty years and i go back to the sites every twelve months for remedials.
    As long as the house is not damp and the walls are completly dry there is never a problem.
    The trouble is with painters who dont know what there talking about is because they allways think there way is the best way.
    And dont come back to me saying google says this and the tin says that until you have seen the work i have done you cant say a thing.
    Like i allways say every one to there own if i know this way works who are you to tell me it dosent.
    hope i have made my self clear.
    cheers mate polly

14. potty painter

potty painter New Member

polly.

With respect mate, you yourself have previously given advice on this forum with regard to the application of a mist coat. Polly, you need to seal porus surfaces such as skim to allow the adhesion of future coats. Manufactures such as Dulux and Crown also advise you to do this. The question here is not about painters thinking that their way is the right way. But the correct approach to that aspect of decorating.

Potty.

15. polly222

polly222 Member

potty
    your right i have given advice on mist coat which in some cases is the right thing to do.
    All i am saying is that in the right circumstances you dont have to put a mistcoat on and i have proved this to myself there is a lot of painters i know that dont use a mist coat.
    What i am trying to say is that nothing is set is stone and i think its good if you try different methods.
    The thing i fond on this forum if you try something a bit different they are all experts in everything and are to quick to put people down lets be honest most of them on here google everything because they dont know what there talking about.
    I hope i have explained my self clearly.
    cheers mate polly

16. polly

Have you never had paint come off onto your roller as you roll? Eg it sticks to your roller.

Have you never noticed that behind the paint which comes off onto your roller that the plaster is clean - eg nothing has soaked into the plaster?

If you water a Matt down it does tend to soak in and provide, naturally, a better adhesion!

If you have a paint that soaks adheres without dilution let me know so I can test it, as far as I know anything which sits on top of plaster is a weaker system.

17. Especially when the paint weakens with age due to uv, inherent chemical decomposition and bacterial action.

18. polly222

polly222 Member

Britney
    Did i say just because i do a mist coat this way that everyone has to do it the way i do no i didnt.
    So what your saying is the way you do it is the right way i said thats the way i have miss coated for years and i have never had any problems.
    And does it make you feel big coming out with all these big words. That you wouldnt know if it wasnt for google.
    So from now on if you cant reply to me with a decent answer dont bother.
    I dont think we should go on with this any longer otherwise we will have googlewill giving me a twenty page essay on mist coating.
    Cheers mate polly

19. May the force be with you.