Painting old floorboards white

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by feida, Jan 8, 2015.

1. feida

feida New Member

I'm a complete DIY beginner! :rolleyes:
    I tried staining the boards but now would prefer to paint them white. I sanded the boards back but that was over 8 months ago - so they've been left.

Two questions
    1. Will I need to re-sand them again to remove dirt before I paint?
    2. Do I need to use a specific Floor paint? or will regular paint do?

Thanks in advance
    Frances

Attached Files:

Gatt likes this.
  2. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Sorry I cant give you any advice re the painting, lots of good painters on here I'm sure will advise but nice to see your well up to date on PPE:):):):)

3. Yes you would need to give it a sand again to remove dirt and grease which would affect the paint,i would say yes you would need to use floor paint one designed for use on wood but others may have more experience with painting wood floors and say you can get away with gloss, ive mostly done concrete but ive always used floor paint on wood aswell :)

4. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Depending on exactly how dirty the floor currently is, I'd be inclined to give it a good clean with sugar soap and then a reasonably light sand to just key it all up with something like 80grit.
    I'd suggest priming it with something like zinsser B-I-N to stop any old stain seeping through.
    I've seen a few floors painted with standard gloss and it holds up well, but I should think a dedicated floor gloss will outlast standard stuff and be harder wearing.

5. feida

feida New Member

thanks guys for your help I'm starting work this weekend

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Remember not to paint yourself into a corner! ;);)

feida likes this.
  7. feida

feida New Member

haha not again!