Painting on top of gloss

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Jim23, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Jim23

Jim23 New Member

Hi don't no if anyone can help got a professional decorator in to paint the house but say's Cant rub down old gloss paint because it's been painted on top of gloss without any undercoat say it will leave it all bity , he will have to to put undercoat straight onto the gloss then gloss on top is this right?

2. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

I'm not a painter but that doesn't sound too good.
    Anything can be rubbed down and start again with fresh undercoat etc. Find another painter if I were you.

Jim23 likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Won't last long.

Jim23 and seen it all before like this.
  4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You seem to have made a mistake in your opening post, "got a professional decorator in". :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jim23 and seen it all before like this.
  5. proby

proby Active Member

A good sand will fetch the gloss off no trouble. Each coat of paint is only as sound as the one underneath , gloss on gloss poor adhesion it flakes off if knocked. So you will just have two extra coats to flake off.

Jim23 likes this.
  6. Jim23

Jim23 New Member

The top coat is peeling off it could have more coats on it , does it have to be brought back to the bare Wood or can this be sanded down

7. proby

proby Active Member

Any loose stuff needs to come off. You will find it comes off pretty easy possibly in sheets if you can get hold and pull gently. If you get to the stage where your sanding and its sanding and not fetching flakes off you should be ok. Depends what you want really , willing to pay, you will get a better job striping it back to bare wood and starting from scratch you know it's done properly then.

Jim23 likes this.
  8. Jim23

Jim23 New Member

Thanks it's not a cheep job just worried about the finished look ,like I said he's going to undercoat straight onto gloss no rubbing down ?

9. proby

proby Active Member

It will look ok how long it lasts is anybody's guess. Like I said gloss on gloss gives poor adhesion the amount of coats on top dosnt matter that's the weak point.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Can depend on what undercoat is applied, not used Zinnsers before, but 123 says you can paint straight onto gloss.

I've just spent 2 hours sanding the front door.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Normally I have used Dulux Trade Quick drying undercoat primer as brought a 5L tub which has lasted several years, so may try a tub of this.

The new tins are now metal, I preferred the plastic ones.

upload_2016-4-9_17-25-33.jpeg

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

A house which I painted a while ago had gloss on gloss, the top layer could be scratched off with your nails as the old paintit hadn't been keyed prior - all had to be sanded back down :(

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hate the metal tins, I decant the paint straight into plastic tubs with air tight lids,(get them free from a cake shop) I got several tins here that have gone rusty inside.:mad:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    Jitender likes this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Crown 'SOLO' liquid gold!;)

15. Phil the Paver

Takes forever to dry though, good on radiators :):)

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wack up the heating.:)

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You must be doing something wrong, never had that problem........give it a good stir! :rolleyes:
    Used loads of SOLO up until 2010 when the VOC regs came into force and the majority of oil based paints were turning yellow within a matter of weeks if not days, bought a 2.5ltr can just before Christmas for a quick job, must say my faith is now restored it is soooooooo white I had to wear sunglasses to finish the job. :p:D;):)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  18. Phil the Paver

I Used it on my new skirtingboards and panel doors, the skirtingboards being pre-primed MDF dried quickly, but the doors were still tacky the following day, covers well though and as I said above, good on rads, hasn't faded at all.

19. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

I'd be inclined to search for a new decorator.

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just bought a tin of Zinnsers 123.

Tried a test area, and seems really good, very flat finish. Going to to get a small airtight container, hate using the paint out of a 2.5l tin, and the rims get covered with paint.