Painting Onto Plaster

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by gryphon, Oct 20, 2016.

1. gryphon

gryphon Member

I have a we utility type room that's had part of the wall re-plastered. I need to give it a lick of paint. I was thinking of using Sandtex fine textured thinking this will mask any blemishes in wall.

Any thoughts.

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Mist coat first of matt emulsion watered down 70 - 30% or there abouts.

KIAB likes this.
  3. gryphon

gryphon Member

Already got a couple of mist coats on was just wondering if the Sandtex textured would be ok.

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Isn't Sandtex plasticky when dry? I wouldn't like that as it stops the wall from 'breathing'.

5. gryphon

gryphon Member

That's why i'm asking,

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

8. gryphon

gryphon Member

Remember, this will be applied to an internal space and will have had a couple of mist coats underneath.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Stone needs to breath, & slapping cement render over it is going to cause serious problem, as he said in video, lime mortar, & lime render, both will let moisture escape unlike a cement finish.

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

He also dislikes the paint!

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I love the paint......maybe because I get well rewarded for applying it correctly! ;)

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The secret is proper preparation, got sandtex smooth on the inside walls of outside bog & ultilty room, been there six years, hasn't peeled yet.:)

Astramax likes this.
  13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Fair comment