painting open rafters with black paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by ramsat, Sep 17, 2015.

1. ramsat

ramsat Member

hi

after a bit of advice, my house is an old style and has open rafters (no fascia or soffit). the rafters are painted in a black matt paint currently but need re doing. one side of my house is fairly exposed and i was wondering what sort of paint is usually used on these rafters? anyone got any experience of them? i was wondering about a bitumen type paint or something but wasn't sure.

any advice appreciated, thanks in advance

roly

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Timber Jack is one ive used before, goes on really easy.

4. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Cuprinol Woodcare (?) comes in a variety of colours and clear, is sprayable and soaks in really well. I've used it on a shingle roof. Do you need to preserve the colour or is protection the key issue? Is it where the purlins protrude out from the gable and really cop for the weather? - getting into the end grain is really desirable in such a location

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sadolin Superdec.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Use the Superdec satin as that would be near to the matt finish you mentioned.

8. ramsat

ramsat Member

thanks for all the advice its appreciated. i'll take a look at all your suggestions.

thanks again

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Worth a look at Bedec Barn Paint.

10. ramsat

ramsat Member

that looks like just the stuff i need, i was going past a barn conversion at the weekend and saw the cladding being painted and this looks like the type of thing they were using. perfect cheers!