Painting over a Boarded and Skimmed Ceiling

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Chorlton, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Chorlton

Chorlton New Member

Hello all, first post on here so don't shoot me down in flames....

I've had a bedroom ceiling boarded and skimmed 2 weeks ago. I've done a bit of research on here and intend to do first one or two coats with No Nonsense Bare Plaster Paint. Should this be watered down at all, or is it good to go out of the tub?

I've also got a nearly full tub of Johnstones High Opacity Matt paint - will this be suitable for the finishing coats?

Thanks

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Get some gardz and seal it. Then emulsion. Johnstones is ok I guess so put that on.

3. Chorlton

Chorlton New Member

Wayners, thanks for your reply. What is gardz and why is it better than the other stuff I mentioned?

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

The bare plaster paint don't seal. It let's the plaster breath so when you use the Johnstone's Paint to top off it won't half suck it which may get you in trouble. Better to thin the Johnstone's and mist coat first to seal. Gardz will seal plaster then Johnstone's will go on neat out the pot. No thinning. You will have to leave to dry though before you 2nd coat. You will get different opinions though. I think seal and paint is the best way.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

It's a newly boarded and skimmed ceiling so why use Z Gards ?

It can be used as a general new plaster sealer but why bother buying it and the expense

It is great stuff though on problem surfaces (flaky, repaired, paste residue, etc)

As you've got a tub of emulsion anyway (as long as it's not vinyl Matt or Silk) thin some down for your mist coat. % of water varies on brand and how thick paint is but somewhere around 25-40% water - go for a 'pouring cream' consistency. No need to bother buying new plaster paint malarkey

1 mist coat

Check for blemishes in plaster as once mist coat dries, it does a great job of showing these up

Depending on finish you want and indeed if any blemishes (dependant on how good plasterer was) fill, rub down and make good these areas

Mist coat filler patches

2 coats 'full fat' emulsion = lovely ceiling :)

As Wayne said more or less - 'more than 1 way to skin a cat' :D

6. Chorlton

Chorlton New Member

Thanks both for your replies. The Johnstones paint I have is this:

Ultra High Opacity Matt, water based.

So, I'll probably water it down and use that for the ceiling.

Within the same room I also have some problem walls where woodchip removal has brought off underlying shiny paint to reveal bare plaster that is a bit chalky - so I'll use Zinsser Gardz for that.

7. Chorlton

Chorlton New Member

Just an update on this. I used watered down paint on three walls (two coats) and Zinsser Gardz on one wall.

When applying my top coat (Dulux Matt) I found the wall with the Gardz almost impossible to paint as it was very slippy. In contrast, on the walls that had received watered down paint, the top coat went on beautifully.