Painting over blackboard paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Tryingnottobodgeit, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Tryingnottobodgeit

Tryingnottobodgeit New Member

Hi

We're buying a house that has some rather dubious (I'm trying to be polite here) decor decisions. In one room, 2 of the walls have been painted in blackboard paint and a teenager has vented their frustrations with life all over quite vividly in chalk! (I actually learned a few new words!)

Obviously the chalk itself will wash off (before my 8 year old son increases his vocabulary), but what is the best way to cover the paint? Does blackboard paint need any special treatment before emulsion?

Thanks

KIAB likes this.
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would think a coat of Zinsser 123 would be better first, it will block out the black better than applying several coats of emulsion.

Did a blackboard for a a kid's play room a few years ago, I just use mdf sheet fixed to wall & several coats of blackboard paint, so much easy to return to a normal wall at a later date.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Easiest way, wash walls, lightly go over with abrasive paper (120 grit), apply a coat of Zinsser 123 and then hang lining paper over the whole wall.

KIAB likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If the wall is already papered simply stop it off and re-finish.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Should have written STRIP not stop................predictive text:rolleyes:

6. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Quick question to all our learned people on here, this Zinsser 123, that everyone harps on about, what exactly is it?, Cos until I started lurking on the forums I'd never heard of it, it sounds like a 'miracle' cure for a lot of ails.
    Cheers, Rich.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Basically Zinsser products are a range of high adhesion primer/sealers, this includes to seal porous surfaces, block tough stains, they have superior adhesion to glossy hard to paint surfaces without sanding (glass & ceramic tiles), sealing odours, covering graffiti, Zinsser products cover a wide variety of substrates, wood, metals, varnish, formica, PVC, melamine, tiles, knots and sap bleed, masonry, concrete, vinyl, fire damage, mold & mildew. They are a pretty good all round piece of kit to have on the van.

Rulland likes this.
  8. Tryingnottobodgeit

Tryingnottobodgeit New Member

Thanks for all the help, it sounds like Zinsser is the way to go :) I'm sure I'll be using these forums quite a bit over the next year or so :)

9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Cheers Astra:)

Astramax likes this.