painting over easifill is blistering/peeling

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by tredd, Mar 20, 2014.

1. tredd

tredd New Member

I moved in to property, removed wallpaper and saw a number of cracks all over the walls, a friend of mine suggested easifill would cover it well, so came round and applied easifill to the cracks, he said when it drys sand it and you can paint on it,
    i left it over a week, lightly sanded it smooth (he applied it pretty well) and began painting on the walls, i used a mix of white emulsion and watered it down about 50/50 as some bare plaster walls and understand these need sealing?
    as i rolled this mix over some of the easifilled areas it looked like a thin layer of the easifill was peeling off and sticking to the roller. as i tried to reapply a little more paint (thinking the roller had got sticky) more peeled away.
    what have i done wrong? should i have not watered the paint for these areas? or used different paint? sanded it more? washed the walls first etc..?

i did notice that under the peeled easifill it looked grayish in colour and was very soft still is this usual?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I would think the amount of water you put in an all ready water based paint softened the filler that was really thin and probably not stuck to well, the most I every thin paint down be is 25% water, 75% paint.

3. tredd

tredd New Member

The filler was soft before i started painting, when i sanded it down it was soft, i could run my fingernails into it with a little pressure and mark it.
    it didnt look like it was applied thin, the cracks are no longer visible, (some were pretty big) plus a couple of fair size chips in the wall were covered and are doing the same. I cant tell if its a thin layer/skin off the top of the filler is peeling, or the whole layer of filler. what ever is behind it is equally as soft, but its had plenty of time to dry.

i could try sanding it again and applying your combination of paint/water mix. any other thoughts?

4. Phil the Paver

If the filler was still soft why did you paint over it?, are you sure it was filler and not caulking, filler would go hard in a couple of hours where as caulking stays softish and is only meant to be used along flexible joins like door frames, skirting boards etc.

5. tredd

tredd New Member

Ill check the bag tonight when home,
    what do i do if it was caulking?
    and what do i do if it was filler but its not going hard?

just got a message to say wipe the walls with a wet cloth, use a brush instead of a roller, and really water the paint down for the mist coat, like 25% paint, 75% water - but that contradicts your advice Phil..

6. Phil the Paver

If it's caulking, best to remove and apply filler, same if filler is still soft, mix up some more following instruction on bag.

A mist coat is normally applied to a fresh wall that never had anything on it, yours have had wallpaper paste on them so should be sealed.

7. supertosh

supertosh Member

50 50? Must have been over spray all over the place. A mist coat should be 25% water 75% paint.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

That greyish stuff might be ready-mix plaster repair(sh|te). Gotta come out, sometimes never dries hard(and wallpaper paste makes it worse).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. tredd

tredd New Member

thanks for the replies,
    i seem to have found the issue, i had lightly sanded it down, but didnt wash the walls after, just started painting (yes, i know now, what an idiot) so i washed the walls of all the dust and tried again and worked much better, occasionally it still blistered as i rolled over the easifill areas and seemed to stick to the roller rather the the wall, so wondering if it actual filler had just gone off and was a little old too.