Painting over gloss ceiling

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by EmmaT, Mar 29, 2017.

1. EmmaT

EmmaT New Member

I'd love some advice on the best way to paint over a gloss ceiling. We think the ceiling was replaced with plasterboard with a plaster skim and then painted with gloss about 25 years ago. It's now very yellowed and we want to paint over it with either emulsion or possibly a water-based paint with a slight sheen.
    I've seen Zinsser BIN and Dulux Super Grip primers recommended and want to know if that's what we should use. Any advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Are you sure it is gloss and not nicotine staining?

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wash it over with a sugar soap solution, if it is gloss paint over with Zinsser Bullseye 123 following the instructions. For a slight sheen use a 'Soft Sheen' emulsion.

4. EmmaT

EmmaT New Member

Thanks so much. It's definitely gloss - the previous owner told us he'd chosen gloss as it reflects candle light.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

And shows the candle soot! :);):rolleyes:

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yeah done this sort of job myself. Glossing walls and ceilings was a thing done years ago. If you can wash off with a mop. Wipe with plenty of paper towel. Maybe a quick blast with electric sander. Waterbased Undercoat may be sufficient rolled on. Zinsser might not be needed but if you think it will stain i would go for zinsser cover stain. Bin ain't nice to use as really thin and 123 won't stain block to well.