Painting over pen/felt tip and Vinyl Silk

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by TheRealExile, May 31, 2016.

1. TheRealExile

TheRealExile New Member

Hi,

New to here and apologies if this has been already discussed to death....

I'm renovating a house which I had let out and the tenants wrecked :-(

Re-done all the glossing then white matt on the ceilings and magnolia matt on all the walls, mostly okay other than one wall where they had painted it a bright red in what looks like a vinyl silk, 4 coats later I still had bits cracking and also some bits of colour showing through, today I bought a pot of stain block and painted over the worst of it and applied a second coat, I'll check tomorrow to see how that has dried and try the magnolia again, thinking next step is probably some lining paper if my latest attempt fails?

Also on the side of the chimney breast and the front it looks like their child has scribbled on the wall with some kind of pink felt tip or pencil crayon, four coats of magnolia didn't help, and after 2 coats of stain block it still seeps through that :-( any advice gratefully received.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What make of stain block are you using? Zinsser BIN is probably the best to use, our hosts sell it.
    Over the red it is best to go over it with a grey emulsion first to blind it out followed by you chosen colour once dry.

TheRealExile likes this.
  3. TheRealExile

TheRealExile New Member

Thanks for the advice , I'll have to check tomorrow and come back to you on the make of stain block but it was the only one the local hardware shop had in stock.... It must be water based though as it washed off the brush when cleaning just with warm water.

Next step then is trying to renovate all the yellow nicotine coloured light switches and sockets, was thinking to maybe use a car scratch remover/tcut type product, seems to have worked at getting the outside gas meter cupboard nice and white again.

4. frosty82

frosty82 Active Member

Wipe everything, walls, skirting, sockets etc with sugar soap. This will remove any residue/ marks on the walls. Obviously be careful when using on electrical front plates!
    Your best to lightly Sand any walls previously coated in silk before fresh paint but never mind. Let each coat fully dry and apply nice even, thin coats. It will eventually cover. Cracking maybe down to residue on walls, over applying paint or drying too quickly. Patience is a virtue and good results will be achieved with plenty of prep work!

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You'll take the glaze off plastic with car scratch remover, and it will gather dirt and stains that will be impossible to remove!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. TheRealExile

TheRealExile New Member

Yes, very true... it already looks better with the sanding I have done so far, It was a decorator that did this initially but wasn't happy with the results so having a go at improving it myself!

7. TheRealExile

TheRealExile New Member

Thanks, a very good point!other than replace them is there any other way to get rid of the yellowing?

8. frosty82

frosty82 Active Member

Sugar soap should take away the yellow from the nicotine unless it's really stained in the plastic? You can try wiping with upvc cleaner, but test first as not suitable for all plastic and can take sheen off

9. TheRealExile

TheRealExile New Member

Still not had any real joy, got rid of the red but there were patches that just seemed not to dry or look darker, so gave a coat of Zinsser BIN and put magnolia over the next day, still the same, repeated ... no better.

Got fed up and applied lining paper and magnolia over it, was done around 4pm yesterday... gone back today at lunchtime and there are still patches showing through the lining paper :-(

I could be wrong but my current theory is that lining paper is porous and the paint is still getting through and reacting?

Thinking now just get a very light beige fine tree bark type paper that doesn't need any painting!