Painting over varnished wood mirror frame

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by EH11, Jan 19, 2017.

1. EH11

EH11 New Member

Looking for some advice, currently looking to refurb a wooden mirror frame. It had been stained dark oak and i'd like to paint it a new colour. I tried to strip the varnish off, using nitromors which i left on for 15 mins and then scraped with a wallwaper scraper. Didn't really lift much of the varnish, so tried steel wool and then fine sandpaper, again without much success.
    As it stand, i'm not overly concerned about getting back to the original wood if I can paint directly over the varnish. Any advice on what I need to do regarding primers / undercoats etc and if anyone has used any products with success, would appreciate name(s).
    Thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Go over the stain/varnish with Zinsser B.I.N. Primer.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

........or Zinsser Bullseye 123 or Zinsser Cover Stain.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Are you sponsered by Zinsser? :)

Astramax likes this.
  5. EH11

EH11 New Member

Astramax, thanks for the suggestions. Reading reviews, this product seems to be suited -
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-cover-stain-primer-white-1ltr/17114
    I've got an old pine chest of drawers that needs refreshed, looks like the zinsser would 'cover' that too.
    I reckon a couple of coats then paint the desired colour should hopefully do the job.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I would have thought as long as you've provided a key, most primers would suit.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Got to think of stain bleed! ;)
    Now there's a thought!:D

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yeah! check out the Dulux Diamond range, Satinwood and Eggshell finishes....other paints are available!:p

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

But you're an idiot. :)

Astramax likes this.
  10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Stalker.

11. frosty82

frosty82 Active Member

Paint stripper doesn't work on varnish, just turns it sticky and pretty much impossible to get a good finish. Always Sand varnish being careful not to breathe in dust.
    Remove mirror from frame if possible for best job, if not masking tape. Furniture paint will cover it with no need to Sand. Requires wax coat after to seal the finish. Works with furniture too. No primer is needed! Good luck

12. frosty82

frosty82 Active Member

Forgot to add...regarding names of products. I've used rust-oleum a few times and has worked a treat.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The op was asking about primers but you are correct Chalk Paint will be another alternative if that's the rustic look he's after, Annie Sloan plenty of vids on YouTube, Rustoleum widely available or can use just good old matt emulsion.

14. EH11

EH11 New Member

Thanks for the advice and will happily avoid using a primer!

15. Mrmatt

Mrmatt New Member

I think it's rustoleum that does a varnish/paint stripper. Absolutely the best one I've used and wipes the floor with nitromors - believe I heard a few years back they changed the formula and it's never been the same.

Alternatively, bin sealer but I know quite a few people who now use dulux primer undercoat which is capable of covering wood staining after several coats

16. david isle

david isle New Member

aluminum wood primer is a good alternative as it sticks well to varnish shellac etc and will act as hardener to the existing covering.