Painting paper on the ceiling

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Cliffandher, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Cliffandher

Cliffandher Member

Hi all, I am not a painter so would like some advice.
    Buying a house which all the ceilings have been papered, the paper has a slight patten effect I.e looks like stipple effect. The paper appears well bonded to the ceilings, we are painting the whole house and I wish to do the ceilings. Will painting the ceilings cause the paper to bubble? is there any special type of paint i should get. I know some will say strip off the paper but I cannot afford the money on replastering if the plaster comes down with it.

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

No. Should be ok. Me, personally? I would use matt emulsion.

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Matt emulsion is better, vinyl silk can glare a bit being shiney.

koolpc likes this.
  4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Plus, it will show up any undulations or marks etc!

KIAB likes this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You mention the paper is well bonded to the ceilings so I doubt if you will have any problems, however the paper may bubble in places during the application of the emulsion paint but will disappear once the paint has dried. The ceilings would probably benefit from a wash over prior to painting so use sugar soap although I find Flash pretty good. Use a decent emulsion paint such as from Dulux Trade range. Also you mention a slight pattern effect, you may wish to make more visible using a 'Soft Sheen' finish rather than a 'Matt' finish, what is the finish at present?

koolpc likes this.
  6. Cliffandher

Cliffandher Member

Thanks for replies, boss tells me there was one part where paper had lifted on one edge, I suppose I can stick that down with paste or glue of some sorts. I will go with Matt, when we first saw house we thought it was artexed then looked again and saw it was paper, we prefer plain plaster ceilings but it is not worth the agro of stripping. I do not know what the present finish is, not sure if its even painted and not just white paper.

7. Cliffandher

Cliffandher Member

Regarding the walls which are all papered, am i better off using a steamer straight away or pulling off what I can then use a steamer? should I score the paper first, or just use hot water and sponge.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Stick it back with decorators caulk then wipe over with damp sponge:cool:.

Cliffandher likes this.
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Depend how easy it comes off......your call.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Too much steam can blow the plaster..:rolleyes::oops:

Prefer to use hot water & a spot of washing up liquid.

Cliffandher likes this.
  11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I find its best to remove as much that will come off easily, then go for the wetting the wall with water and a sponge. If it is really hard to get off then use a steamer.

BTW always find women make better "strippers" than men, personal observation ;)

KIAB likes this.