Painting plastic

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by lintim, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Checked out the link. It is not the Dulux
    Trade web site as I suspected. So I am back on
    here telling you where the link comes from (or anyone
    can try clicking on it to find out for themselves)

You're right. It's not from the 'trade' website.

It's from DULUX themselves.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

2. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

Eh? So what's your point Mr H?

It's from the Dulux web site for general information about Dulux paint products, mainly aimed at Joe Public. It would be in Dulux's interest to advise people to use wood rather than Upvc as they have a vested interest in people using paint

The Trade web site contains info about Upvc paint so therefore it can be painted, but I repeat, they advise not to abrade the plastic as it will degrade it

We could go on arguing this topic indefinately so perhaps we can agree to differ

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Bertie, you asked me who I would believe, if not a well established company like Dulux.

You pointed out that they gave advice on how to paint plastic.

And I pointed out that not only do they advise HOW to paint plastic, but they advise that plastic CANNOT BE painted.(we're talking upvc of course)

So in answer to your question 'who would I believe?'. I would have to say, NOT DULUX.

Sorry, but if they can't get it right between themselves, they know squat.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

4. Welsh Decorator 42

Welsh Decorator 42 New Member

I'm keeping out of this one!
    Two conflicting sites from the same company? I reckon the link in Handy's must be aimed at the retail or DIY market? otherwise why the conflict of info?
    Also why would do they manufacture a paint for use on uPVC? if you cannot use it?
    BB's link is from the trade site, so the only thing I can come up with is:- if in the "Trade" you can paint the infernal stuff, and in the DIY market, confusion reins!

So much for keeping out of it!!!!!

5. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

You are right of course Welshie. Being a cynical old barsteward, I'm inclined to think that the trade web site tends to contain different info because they know that the trade will not swallow ********, whereas the DIyer would'nt know any different

6. Welsh Decorator 42

Welsh Decorator 42 New Member

Heah heah heah!

7. gopUniog

gopUniog New Member

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

8. gopUniog

gopUniog New Member

9. gopUniog

gopUniog New Member

10. gopUniog

gopUniog New Member

11. gopUniog

gopUniog New Member

12. Neilwhite22

Neilwhite22 New Member

Hi all I just happened to come across this by luck really and thought I would share my views on painting plastic. It can be done ,but I wouldn't go using dulux or a like product it will not work or not for very long a couple of years max I would say. kolor bond is the paint for the job but its not just paint and the jobs done there is a process that needs to be taken to get the finish you would want.
    You need a very strong solvent cleaner that so-fends a very thin top layer of the PVC then you apply the colour and use the solvent again to push the colour into the plastic then apply more coats of colour ,and it needs to be sprayed or it's like painting water The prep to the frame will make the finish

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I prefer to get my technical advice off someone who managed to teach themselves the basics of grammar.
    Tomp is an exception to the rule.
    Replying to very old posts makes me wary.

14. supertosh

supertosh Member

Good Lord!! Cut the cr ap and give a cpl of coats of gloss = job done.

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good Lord!! Cut the **** and give a cr ap of coats of gloss = job done.

Exactly my advice seven years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. supertosh

supertosh Member

I didn't notice the date, it came up on my feed as a new post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!