painting rough brick surface?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by lenforder, Aug 8, 2016.

1. lenforder

lenforder New Member

Hi Guys

Hoping you can help

I’m looking to paint my garage wall, they have a very rough type of surface (pics below) it’s almost like a crumbly texture.

What would be the best method of painting these? Airless sprayer or good old paint/roller? Will it soak the bricks faster with a airless sprayer

Is it best to seal it first, then paint it?

Any help much apprenticed

Thanks
    John

brick.jpg brick 2.jpg brick 2.jpg

2. lenforder

lenforder New Member

I was thinking of using emulsion paint?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. lenforder

lenforder New Member

Thanks Kiab for the reply

Would you advise using a sprayer, airless?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Spraying walls, woodwork, not a problem, but I have no experince spraying bare brick walls, but spraying has so many disadvantages viscosity, overspray, masking off,etc, & you would still to do cutting in with a brush.

Long pile roller would be ok, but the spatter can be problem, so well sheet everthing.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A proper airless sprayer will do that in no time.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The sprayer will, it depends on the peep using it, had idiot at last place spraying walls,my fence was about 10mtrs away had cornish cream flecks everywhere, wasn't happy.:(

8. lenforder

lenforder New Member

Thanks

9. lenforder

lenforder New Member

Thanks Chippe244, can you recommend one, its a single garage so am after something small and easy to use?
    PS i will be hiring one most probably

10. lenforder

lenforder New Member

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The one our head painter uses cost about £2000 so I would go for a hire. I'm not at work today but I will ask tomorrow.

12. lenforder

lenforder New Member

Thanks, would it be advisable to use an emulsion paint in these handheld electric sprayers to paint the wall, as im guessing masonry paint would be a lot thicker and just clog it up?

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

14. lenforder

lenforder New Member

15. lenforder

lenforder New Member

Hi Guys

Just wanted to ask, whats the best paint to use, Ive heard emulsion can crack and peel over the years, a few people have mentioned sandtex exterior paint for the walls? Any preference?
    Which paint will allow the walls to breathe?

Thanks

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sandtex exterior is microporous paint, so allows the wall to breathe, a lot other other masonry paints are micro porous.

Looking Sandtex Ultra Smooth they recommend using a brush.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  17. lenforder

lenforder New Member

Thanks KIAB, so you think its best to go with a Sandtex type paint?

18. I doubt emulsion paint will flake - it shouldn't. There is no reason why it should.

However, masonry will be more durable and is probably the best option here.

How to apply? I did my own garage insides - single block construction - and had a similar problem with getting the paint in to the deep texture. So I used a cheapo electric airless sprayer. This did work, but I had to dilute the paint a fair amount to get it to spray convincingly. This meant that, when the paint dried, it wasn't as thick as I'd hoped and the grey of the blocks still showed through. So I used a roller to apply a neat coat over it which was ok - the deep bits were white enough...

If you can spray on a thick enough coat, then it will - by far - be the easiest method. Expect to have to apply two coats min, tho'. I suspect using either a brush or a deep-pile roller will be a bit of a 'mare. but you won't know until you try - it might be ok.

No harm in trying a 'manual' method first!

If using a roller, I'd slap it on thick, and then roll roll roll to spread it out.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If Sandtex would need to be seriously water down to spray it, brush is they recommend ,you can work the paint into all the crevices,etc, just sheet the floor, problems start when you overload the brush with paint, it splatters everywhere.

Just had a nosey at the Dulux Weathershield Smooth Masonry Paint & they don't recommend it for use on common or Fletton bricks.

https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/products/weathershield-smooth-masonry-paint

So, check Sandtex or any other paint is suitable.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  20. lenforder

lenforder New Member

Thanks DA, i was thinking of spraying it but like you said I will try it with a brush and roller and see how i get on
    Will leave Emulsion and give Masonary a try