painting rough brick surface?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by lenforder, Aug 8, 2016.

1. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Hi Len, it it was more the texture and how loose dusty the brick them selves were but I would still stabilise regardless, I only was trying to help but you out but there's a little clique on Here that think they no best trust me they don't. I am a man of my word, you don't want to be putting your address up on here so i think you can start a private conversation and you could provide me a telephone number and schedule a time to sort this wall out for you free of charge mate

Jord86 likes this.
  2. Ok, Scott - fair do's.

I think we are referring to different levels of porosity there, tho' - I'm talking about the type of porosity that causes issues which need to be addressed by, say, the use of stabiliser - old crumbling dusty mortar and failing bricks, etc. I'm not referring to the 'natural' level of tiny porosity found in yer average brick. I'd certainly be worried if the builder's merchant sent me a load of new 'porous' bricks...

By all means recommend stabiliser - tho' I struggle to see the benefit over a first coat of masonry paint; both need to be actually applied.

And, where possible, I like the idea of paint doing its own adhering, direct on to surfaces - after all, that's what it's designed to do. And not have to rely on a sealer or other application to help it along.

And certainly don't use Wickes' stabiliser on already-good surfaces :)

3. Scott, you need to chill a bit.

No cliques on here. No ganging up. No being pedantic for the sake of it.

Your input is very valid and welcome. The OP can use all the info to make a judgement.

You would use stabiliser on these bricks first. Cool. That's good. No prob.

Me, I might use stabiliser on there first too - if I was convinced (eg by testing) that it helped. And it wouldn't do any harm (unless it was Wickes' stuff...). But, chances are I wouldn't bother. And I didn't when it came to painting my own internal blockwork surface.

I see sealers/primers/stabilisers etc as products to use when they are needed. And stabiliser is essential when a surface is excessively porous or dusty or slightly crumbly for instance.

But I - personally - don't like the idea of adding an unnecessary layer or skin to a surface before applying paint - because you are now painting - and are now relying on for adhesion - that extra 'skin' you've added, and not the paint sticking to the actual surface it was designed for.

If possible, I'd rather the paint stick to the actual surface it's applied on to.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2016
    KIAB likes this.
  4. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

:cool::cool:
    Bricks are porus by design full of capillaries that have the ability to absorb water and expel it face brick effectively acts as sponge, face brick is a rain shield can and will allow water to pass Through hence need for weep vents etc, thus stabiliser is specified for use by all masonry manufacturers to be used on porus materials and that is what most of the architects we work with also spec, anyhow I'm not here to lecture just to offer advice, and Infact I find it quite therapeutic having a rant so feeling quite chilled thanks :cool:

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. You are welcome :)

Any time you need a rant, chust let me know :D

SWBUILDERS likes this.
  6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

And the OP is getting the job done for nowt :):)

7. Photos - or it hasn't happened ;)

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Do us a favour OP, give scott belton your address as the local car servicing/MOT/sales garage(1,000 sq.m of barebrick walls), just to see his face when he turns up with his 5l of magnolia. Picture.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Doall, KIAB and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  9. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

quick coat of stabiliser and I'll **** it!!!

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

.Photo's or you're a * artist

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2017
  11. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Mate I'm still waiting for the OP to message me!! Looking at the date of the first post he's not in any rush! I'll get it done for him tho if he decides to take the offer up

12. Mr. Handyandy

Ah, if you can pis, you can paint!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. To be fair, that is a very generous offer.

Astramax, chippie244 and KIAB like this.
  14. lenforder

lenforder New Member

Guys many thanks for all the replies...

A bit of an update, i was cleaning out the garage over the weekend and decided to brush the walls, I used a soft bristle broom, as I did i noticed alot of loose gravel chipping came off as i swept across the wall, so am i right in thinking i would need to 'seal/stabilze' the wall after all?

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Needs a coat of stabilizer ;)

16. Mr. Handyandy

Take the man up on his offer. He'll sort it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. Loose 'chippings' are chust the sharp brittle ends of the textured parts - not really a case of requiring stabilising. Stabilising is really for powdery/dusty surfaces, not for bits that break off.

However, no harm; chust get some Everbuild 406 - cheap stuff - and do it. Keep us all happy :)

(And I'm sure a cheap pump-up sprayer will apply the stab for you easily enough. Wash out thoroughly with water afterwards.)

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Has the free offer happened?:D

Deleted member 33931 and Doall like this.
  19. thestraycat

thestraycat Member

You can do mine for free mate. It's a bit rough though :) I've just started a post for it if you'd like to drop me your opinions?