Painting Skirting Boards

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by PHILPH, Feb 9, 2009.

1. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Hi,

Just wondering...

is there any secret in painting skirting, without taking the carpets up?

Sorry, it might be a daft question to ask, however what do you pro's do?. Is it just the case of having a very steady hand or do you use masking tape on the carpet? or is the solution to just bite the bullet and lift the carpet?

Thanks for any info

2. potty painter

potty painter New Member

There are ways of doing it, but I would'nt recommend any of them. As far as masking is concerned the chances are you will leave small gaps that will allow the paint on to the carpet, or attach it to the skirting itself. Also it's removal could damage both carpet and paintwork.

There may be other decs on here able to come up with a method that may suit you, but I really think it's a carpet up job.

Potty

3. Bod1

Bod1 Member

The problem with taking up the carpets is that, unless you are a carpet fitter it's possible they won't go back down properly - how far do you take them up? Completely or fold back edges, if the latter you must be sure that they won't fold back down while the paint is still wet.

Most practical solution in an occupied house is to us 2 inch masking tape, applied to the carpet so it overlaps skirting by half inch or so, then pulling the pile back to you and using a filling knife push the masking down between carpet and skirting. Fiddly on stairs and more so at the bottom of ornate architraves but the best way to go. Take up masking tape before paint has dried - carefully

4. apl

apl Member

I normally use masking tape on the jobs i do. Fill and sand the skirts then hoover the carpet next to the skirts. I then use a 2 inch roll of tape and get it as close to the skirt as possible without lapping the bottom. Then i lay another length of tape next to the first so the tape is now 4 inch wide. This helps stop dust and fluff getting near the skirts when you paint. After the topcoat is fully dry, next day or last thing, take the tape up.
    Ideally the carpet should be up but for the amount of time and effort involved i don't think its necessary. Hope this is of use

5. jcts

jcts Active Member

Most practical solution in an occupied house is to us 2 inch masking tape, applied to the carpet so it overlaps skirting by half inch or so, then pulling the pile back to you and using a filling knife push the masking down between carpet and skirting

this is a very good way as bod1 says. this is what i have done for years and never spotted the carpet. no need to take the carpet up what so ever. just one thing i will add, when painting the bottom of the skirting, don't load the paint up too much as it will drip under the tape. just a little on the brush when painting the bottom and you will do fine

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

jcts... could not have explained it any better myself...spot on!

7. jcts

jcts Active Member

ta very much

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The tape I agree, works. Another way is to use a roll of dpc(plastic). Slide it down between carpet and skirting vertically, then force it down and under the skirting as you bend it flat to the carpet. Tape it in a couple of places to keep it there. Whip it out in one go when done.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. jcts

jcts Active Member

forgot to mention, when you take the tape off pull it towards you at an angle

10. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Thanks very much for all your replies.

Must admit lifting the carpet was the last thing I wanted.

Looks as though I'll be purchasing a few rolls of masking tape then!!

Thanks again.

11. As with most things in life you get what you pay for, this is especially true with masking tape. Go for Duck or 3M if you can. Tesco's were doing 2" Duck really cheap a while ago. I cleared their shelf of about 20 rolls in one go, got a funny look at the checkout!!

Another tip, if you've left your masking tape in a cold van overnight, bung the roll in a microwave for 15 seconds on full power. This softens up the glue an stops the tape ripping off in shreds.

12. apl

apl Member

Aye, stay away from the cheap stuff. I get 2 inch duck tape from the asda near me for £1.37 a roll. I can't get cheaper anywhere else. Screwfix are you listening!

13. jcts

jcts Active Member

duck tape is the way to go

14. slapiton

slapiton New Member

get a sharp stanley knife and a straight edge,cut the carpet about 200mm. back from the wall all around the room.remove carpet strip and set aside,paint skirting and relay carpet strip. just like turf really.

15. jcts

jcts Active Member

that is one of the most ridicules things i have ever herd

16. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

it all depends on the volume of traffic, in a house empty for the day it is fine (not sure about removing the carpet grippers though. must agree with p that is ridiculous, and the floor may be concrete!). where lots of traffic ie contract painting in offices tape is the best option (carpet tiles generally used and adhered to floor).

PONTY: Plenty Of Names To Yawn (at) :^O

17. slapiton

slapiton New Member

quack quack ducksy.

18. RickyBobby

RickyBobby New Member

get a sharp stanley knife and a straight edge,cut the carpet about 200mm. back from the wall all around the
    room.remove carpet strip and set aside,paint skirting
    and relay carpet strip. just like turf really.

PMSL, that's like one of those top tips out of Viz.

19. potty painter

potty painter New Member

and relay carpet strip. just like turf really.

Lord help us.

20. SJL

SJL New Member

" cut carpet into strips" ha ha bloody good laugh.i know this post is from an amatuer and the advise to him is correct by using masking tape for DIY purposes ,but surely you guys dont all use masking tape do you? whats happened to the trusty 1.5" well worn brush that you just wont throw away . I always have at least one ready and one wearing down in my brushkeep .masking tape to carpet ,christ the old boys when i did my appenticeship would be spinning in there graves if i did it. on a sensible note i find that the albany super brush (Brewers) to be the best for this as they go nice and stubby pretty quick