Painting the exterior of a house

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Iron_Mike, May 22, 2017.

1. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

No not selling after completion. But potentially in a few years. Will see what happens.

I felt all white was a neutral look that would freshen up the property.

Think I may speak to a plasterer about the render.

Not sure if I should be painting over it and how to handle the flakes bits.

2. All very loose bits should be chipped orf - I know you didn't want to hear that.

Hopefully it's only small areas and the surrounding bits are well attached.

Then give these areas in particular (tho' you can do it all) a coat of Everbuild 406 stabiliser.

When dry, paint away.

KIAB and Iron_Mike like this.
  3. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Cheers DA.

I only have small areas that I need to sort out.

4. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Should I also be covering the flaked off bits with a filler?

The house is pretty high, so I am thinking of hiring a scissor lift. Are these commonly used when painting high up?

I don't fancy falling off a ladder and have also used a tower which I thought wasn't the most stable.

5. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

6. I personally wouldn't use filler unless it was really necessary - like filling actual holes.

If you simply need to blend different levels of paint layer together, you could try a high-build masonry paint - it's thick and can be laid on the low bits and blended in to the surrounding areas. It can also be textured to your heart's content.

Only use a ladder if you can secure it by typing through, say, windows or similar - ie so's there's no way it can slide.

The rest is up to you - chust don't fall off...

You could always get a step-through harness and clip it to a rung - it'll smart if you fall, but you shouldn't be too dead.

But if you can hire a cherry-picker for a reasonable sum, then that would be ideal I guess.

Iron_Mike likes this.
  7. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Thanks DA.

I can get a scissor lift for £230.

As I am doing it myself, I am saving a fair amount, so happy to hire this. Prefer to spend a bit to remain safe, rather than risking a ladder.

Just need to get a dry day when I book it.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You got safe access all around house for one:eek:, used cherry picker(Articulating Boom) a previous place, made painting chimney so easy.

Iron_Mike likes this.
  9. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Yes I think the scissor lift will speed things up also.

Using a roller or a paintbrush, 20ft up is not something I don't fancy doing on a ladder.

10. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Have found a 5m extension pole, so think this will negate the need for a scissor lift.

Have been impressed with the Sandtex paint I have been using.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hire a access tower, easier than a extension pole,plus your up close & don't miss a few knooks. as you can work the brush in if need be.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Dream on! :rolleyes:;)

13. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Lol maybe a trampoline ;)

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A scissor lift will save a lot of time.

Iron_Mike likes this.