PAPER COVERED CEILING COVING

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by philtheman, Nov 11, 2015.

1. philtheman

philtheman New Member

Hi All,
    Would appreciate some advice please.
    Recently moved into my house and have recently noticed that the ceiling coving has paper covering it and is starting to 'bulge' and twist in various places. When I touch it feels like cardboard. Have checked in the loft for any dampness and on the roof but all is well (thank god!) so was wondering what has caused it and how do I remedy it please?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sounds like it has been badly installed, rather than repair a replacement would be easier and better cost effective. Most cove is covered with a paper finish unless it's a cheap polystyrene type.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Know you said recently in house but surely the coving has been like this since day 1 - maybe you've just been too busy to notice it, what with the house move

If it's happened since you've moved in, then I can only think of damp or movement that would cause this

As above, replacement is the viable option - as long as the house isn't falling down :eek:

4. philtheman

philtheman New Member

Thanks for the above comments, no I don't think the coving has been in since day 1, no there is no dampness or movement, as I said have been in loft and checked, BTW I am living in a bungalow.
    I suspect it was put up badly, has been painted with matt emulsion and consequently the paper on the coving has decided, in parts, to bulge and twist.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

When I said has the coving been up since day one, didn't mean since the house was built, more like since you've moved in

Maybe was just how you worded the post, as you said the coving has "started to bulge and twist"

Suspect was badly installed, usually if the paper covering is bulging or creased then the plaster core has been damaged and has cracked

If several areas of damage, will be easier and a better end result to remove coving and replace with new

If just an isolated area it is possible to cut out and replace but you need to be good to end up with an invisible repair :eek:

6. philtheman

philtheman New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Contacted the previous owners and they informed me that the coving and ceiling paper have been up prior to them moving in some 7 years ago, all he did was to decorate with some paint over the top.
    So I am thinking maybe too wet paint has soaked through and caused the paper to bulge and twist. Maybe tried and snip it, get some paste underneath and sort it that way.