Parents Mobility Bathroom - advice please

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by zak99, Jun 15, 2016.

1. zak99

zak99 Member

Hi,

Trying to help my Mum and Dad spec a bathroom change. They are 90 and 87, Dad has a bit of Parkinsons late in life, Mums had all sorts but they are tough and still getting about so far without aids.

They had an assessment and a full wet room was recommended with Altro flooring.

They are not keen and I'm not that convinced its necessary. The Bathroom is first floor with another two steps going on to the bedrooms. Its a large bathroom in a victorian semi, with skirtings and an old iron fireplace and an airing cupboard. Altro flooring all over and up the skirtings seems overkill when its only the shower area that gets wet.

Its a bath currently so would be better changed for a shower. Flush would be great but they are determined not to spend loads at this stage in life so they feel an on floor tray (45mm high) will see them out in this house.

I guess flush removes all trip hazards as my Dads shuffle develops and perhaps future shower wheelchair access but given the stairs the as yet not necessary wheelchair use in that room seems unfeasible anyway.

If they need to make stairs (at least two towards the bedroom) they should be able make the 45mm step into the shower provided theres grab rails either side.

I guess a small on floor 45mm tray with screens, and a shower curtain should allow normal non slip lino in the rest of the room. I gather shower trays can be had in non slip as well.

It will also look less mobility which they would prefer.

I'm thinking out loud, anyone have and suggestions or experience here please.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have you not got a Care & Repair in your area, they which help older people undertake home repairs & adaptations to keep indenpedent living.

My mother is disabled, she had work done, about 3k, which was covered by a grant, a elderly neighbour had a wet room installed, again the cost covered by a grant.

http://www.somersetcareandrepair.org/

3. zak99

zak99 Member

My Dads hard earnt pension is quite healthy, They had an assessment and were only eligible for small help like smoke alarms, grab rail at front door etc.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I had an elderly uncle who had Parkinsons - he had the bathroom adapted with a large shower area - maybe 1.5m x 1m with a very small step. It was large enough for a wheel chair to be taken in and manoeuvred. There is an area - maybe 800mm wide, just outside with a waterproof floor too. All I can really say, is make sure it is big enough - do not try and shrink it down.

5. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I converted a downstairs room into a bedroom and ensuite for my Dad. Took £6k to do the modification.

6. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Had considered a stair lift. Glad I didn't now.

7. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

How will they cope if they end up in wheel chairs?

8. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Looks like I scared the OP off.
    My aunt spent 6 years bedridden in a downstairs living room before she passed. At the end of the day being downstairs left easier access for carers.
    My Dads wife spent 5 months in a downstairs living room with no decent washing facilities before she passed.

9. zak99

zak99 Member

No not scared off, many thanks for the input.