Parquet flooring

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Leam32, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Leam32

Leam32 New Member

Is there any health issues with the bitumin on reclaimed parquet flooring with regards to any fumes of the old block
    I have them in my lounge to acclimatise for a couple of weeks and the smell is quite strong I like the smell just don't want it it to be an issue for any one

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Highly unlikely, wouldn't be able to sell it if it was a health risk.

Surprised you can smell old bitumen, you sure it's not the new glue.

Or has the new glue activated the bitumen back to life.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Removed old parquet flooring here, it had been down 40 years or so & the bitumen smell was awful, which surprised me,stunk the house out for days.

4. Some contain traces of asbestos. Google a local asbestos removal company and they will send a sample to a lab for testing.

5. Leam32

Leam32 New Member

The parquet is sat in bags acclimatising, the glue is still in the shop not bought yet
    Really surprised that there is a smell, this was an old village hall floor in cheshire, no smell when taken up .?

6. Some bitumen used to install parquet historically contained asbestos fibres.

Testing is cheap. It only cost the company about £5 per sample.

7. Leam32

Leam32 New Member

Fully appreciate the relavance of asbestos but as I don't intend to scape or disturb the light covering of bitumin is it a concern if not disturbed

8. I'm not sure how the latest Control of Asbestos Regulations apply to a domestic situation. Either it's covered by legislation or it's your call.

You can read up on it if you have time. But sometimes health matters more than law...

9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

He wouldn't have been able to buy the stuff if it was of any health concern, unless it was bought privately.