Parquet - Narrow Hallway

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jimmy Blacknell, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Jimmy Blacknell

Jimmy Blacknell New Member

About to restore an old 5 finger parquet. It's quite a long and narrow hall way and is a pretty bad way so needs a good going over.

Is it best to use a drum sander length ways to get it right back down, then using a edging sander go back across the grain (hard work I know), or hire an orbital sander instead of a drum sander. Would it powerful enough to take it back? Thinking it will need 36 grit first.

Any suggestions would be great.

2. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Jimmy, think you've pretty much nailed it matey. Christmas job?

3. Hey Jimmy, still got this job to do?

All I can say is that I had all my floors to do in a previous house, and obviously the drum sander is the baby to use, with the edge sander doing chust that - edges. However, I had a smaller - but 'double' - bedroom floor to do afterwards (full of stored stuff at the time) at a later date, so didn't bother with the drum sander this time, just using the edge orbital. Ok, it took more time, but saved having to hire and lug both machines around. And I'd have needed the orbital anyways...

A belt sander is certainly best for getting things flat - eg removing the cupping on normal floorboards - but I'm guessing that your parquet is already pretty flat and just needs a 'restore' sanding? In which case, I don't think I'd bother with a drum sander in your situation.

What I found the best technique was to kneel on a cushion to save your knees, and then gently move the sander in an arc in front of you, edging forwards all the time (or backwards).

I know the edge sander won;t finish 'with' the grain, but actually - with a fine finishing grade of paper - this didn't matter. And it certainly won't matter in your case as the grains will be running in opposite directions :)

I don't have much patience so started with very coarse grade paper, just easing off the weight to stop it cutting too deep. Then a going over with a finer grade did a good enough job for me...

What you may find is, if your parquet has a number of coats of varnish on it, it'll clog up your paper very quickly - very frustrating. In this case, use a coarse grade to start with, and try to apply just light pressure - take some of the weight off the sander. This way you will hopefully turn the varnish into dust that'll get sucked up, and not into a melted gloop that'll clog.

If it does clog, use a wire brush to get quick cleaning results...