Part P etc etc

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by CGN, Apr 16, 2016.

1. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

After a bit of advice from our resident sparkys please.
    I'm looking to increase the scope of services I can offer whilst doing bathroom/kitchen and general property refurbs so I'm seriously considering getting some electrical qualifications.

I would consider myself to have a good understanding of electrical circuits/wiring etc but with the type of work I do, it's frustrating to be able to tie down a sparky at the right time in order to keep the job running efficiently and a lot of the time, the actual electrical work required is quite small.

The type of works I generally need to do would be...

1. Fit interlinked smoke detectors
    2. Add/relocate sockets and fused Spurs.
    3. Modify/install lighting circuits.
    4. Fit bathroom extractors, occasionally an electric shower etc.

What would be the requirements in order for me to comply and sign off the above? Courses, test gear and potential costs.

2. nffc

nffc Active Member

As much as it pains me you route would be a short course. The JIB do not recognise these course and you would not qualify for the grade of 'Electrician' if you want a CSCS card. However; the scheme providers do recognise these short course qualifications as long as you stay on domestic installation works only. You will need a scheme of some kind in order to sign off your work with the LABC.

Costs:

Short course - £3000
    Scheme registration - £300
    Insurance - £100
    New tools - £250
    Testing equipment - £500
    Time off work - £8000

On the other hand these course are poor at best. You will not be recognised or respected by any electrician that has served their time. Your standard of work will be far lower than a time served electrician and this could hurt your reputation.

A lot to consider.

3. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Why would his standard of work be far lower than that of a time served spark.
    The jobs he is proposing to do are in the basic end of works carried out by electricians. Seen some right dodgy fittings and fixtures by supposedly time served sparks.

Phil Hyde and longboat like this.
  4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

NICEIC used to offer a "limited scope" membership which would cover minor works such as you're describing. I'm not sure if that's still available, and thinking about it i'm not sure whether it would cover work in "special locations", eg bathrooms. Best to phone them for some information, you'll get all sorts of conflicting advice otherwise!

5. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

Guff. And where do you get 3000 pound from?

6. madhatter1uk

If he knows what he's doing or asks for advice rather than bodging it I respect them.

7. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

For the sake of accuracy, that should read an ECS (Electrotechnical Certification Scheme) card - not CSCS card, although it is CSCS-affiliated.

8. nffc

nffc Active Member

I know it is.

9. nffc

nffc Active Member

Generally speaking those with greater qualifications and experience will carry out better workmanship. There is always exceptions though.

seen it all before likes this.
  10. nffc

nffc Active Member

11. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

You should be able to get a limited scope membership from one of the scams.
    The only qualification you are likely to need is the IET 17th edition regs, you can sit the exam only but it may be a good idea to enroll on a short course first to get you up to speed.
    Test equipment, PLI, a copy of the BYB and demonstrating to an inspector that you understand what your doing, then pay your fee and off ya go.

12. madhatter1uk

Course is guff too, that's electrical installation, testing and inspection, pat testing and everything else.
    I find it hard to see how anyone can learn electrical installation in 5 days. That's well, it's impossible and daft. My course was a three year course accelerated to two years. I think it was one day the first year and two the second. One day was until 7

13. nffc

nffc Active Member

How will the 17th Edition course show him how to test his work.

14. madhatter1uk

You don't need a testing and inspection certificate do you?

15. nffc

nffc Active Member

No. Unfortunately. But you do need to be competent and you will be asked to show your testing skills to the assessor.

16. madhatter1uk

I never did testing and inspection, it was included in our course.

17. madhatter1uk

Anyway. Passing that job lot of courses still doesn't mean you can self certify.

18. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Do you not have CG 2391 then MH?

19. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

If you want to certify installation work a C&G 2394 might be a start. To test and inspect it would be 2394. Made sense to split to old 2391. And a cynic would say, makes more money for training and examiners.

20. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

He would only need to show how testing and inspection is done, I don't make the rules. A good book on the subject would suffice.
    Part P is a complete farce anyway, I know my LABC don't give a damn about it.