Part P - Moving kitchen sockets

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by will322, Feb 21, 2017.

1. will322

will322 New Member

Hi guys,

Just after a bit of advice on moving a few sockets in the kitchen. When planning our kitchen, the planner mentioned that our current sockets above the counter are illegal and too close to the hob (1/2 inch at present). Seeing as the plasterboard is being cut out and replaced for new tiles to go on, i thought we might as well sort it.

I'm no electrician but have done minor electrical work in the past and i'm more than capable of moving some sockets 6 inches or so safely across and putting in some capping to make it double safe. I just wondered if I was legally allowed to do it? I have no qualifications to speak of but the part p regs seem to suggest it's non-notifiable? Reading through some admittedly old forum posts though, suggest otherwise.

If anyone could enlighten me that'd be great. We're on a pretty tight budget so i'd rather sort it myself but the last thing i want is to cause myself more problems down the line!

Cheers

(The sockets in question)

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

You are correct, this work is not notifiable. Only new circuits are now notifiable in kitchens. (or of course consumer unit changes if it happens to be in a kitchen!)

will322 likes this.
  3. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

You don't need to do anything.

Not up to current regs, but it's not a new installation so it doesn't matter.

You couldn't install them new like that, but you don't have to move existing sockets

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

It's not notifiable but it still should conform to 7671.

5. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

My understanding, is that both new circuits and CU changes are notifiable, also any work within a zone of a location containing a bath, shower, swimming pool, etc.
    There is no minimum distance that sockets have to be from a hob in the Regulations, or in law.
    There is a requirement in the Regulations, to protect sockets from sources of heat

seneca likes this.
  6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

IF you still plan to move the socket, you cannot make a dog-leg of the wiring. The cable must run either horizontally or vertically from the socket.
    If you are planing to cover the junction over (tiles?) the cable cannot run down the wall (to the existing poition) and then do a 90 degree turn to the new socket position.
    Wiring zones in walls must be like this:

[​IMG]

7. will322

will322 New Member

No tiles (the wife has a specific look in mind!) but it would be hidden behind the plasterboard. I was planning on moving the position where the wiring descends along a little bit if that makes sense. So it would all perfectly replicate whats in the wall at the minute, just 6 inches to the left and right respectively. I figured replicating what was already there would be the safest bet!

By the sounds of it i'm ok to just leave it as is and not bother with the hassle of digging out the entire wall though. If that's the case i think i'll just replace the sockets like for like and leave them where they are, they've not caused any problems and there's less chance of me falling foul to regulations!

8. will322

will322 New Member

Ok, so the planner was partially right then, even if he was scaremongering a little! I was planning on replacing them like for like while i had the walls down because they're looking a little battered. If i put them back in the exact same place would that count as me contravening the rules? I'm assuming moving them further away is the only real way of protecting a run-of-the mill wall socket from heat.

9. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You really need to check your hobs instruction manual as it's likely to contain a minimum distance around the area above the hob in which no combustible materials are allowed. The minimum recommended distance is 300mm from the edge of the hob and if you can achieve this it would be well worth the effort.

Part P places a requirement on you to ensure that your work is "safe", so "a" way to show this would be to make sure your work complies with 7671 which you won't be able to do since you can't issue a MWC. This is the case irrespective of the work being notifiable.

7671 specifies all alterations or additions come under it's scope, so you will need to comply with 7671.

Not many diy'ers are able to achieve this. Not many diy'ers pay any attention to it either...;)

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

11. will322

will322 New Member

See, i'm really not that keen on people dying! In this thread i've gone through the full rollercoaster of "Yeah i'll be able to sort it out myself" to setting the house alight ha.

Everything comes on Friday so i'll have a read through the manual then. There's definitely room for them to move across though so i might have to wait a while and get a pro if i'm to fully comply. It seems silly for something so relatively simple but i fully understand the reasoning. I wish they'd just fitted it all properly in the first place, the house is only 13 years old!!

Thanks to all for the input, you're a helpful bunch :)