Part P - Scotland

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Scottyboy, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Guest

Supposed to be putting in a new kitchen for my wifes friend.
    Normally I get a sparky friend to do electrics but since this is a favour and I'm not taking money then that wouldn't be so handy.
    I hope not to touch current wiring and just replace units but it just struck me that even if she just wanted to add some pelmet lights or something minor like that it would be a problem for me to do it in a kitchen.
    Where do we stand in Scotland with respect to Part P regulations???

Cheers,

Scotty

2. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Heard of Devolution?

3. part-p.org.uk

part-p.org.uk New Member

Part-P only applies to England and Wales.

4. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Guest

Nice - So the Scottish Parliament isn't a TOTAL waste of time and money then!

Cheers

5. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Good Grief ScottyBot not at all the best thing Scotland has ever done, well William Wallace got close and that was pretty good as well and hope ya do better next time. After all where is Faslane? lol

6. Krusty the Clown

Krusty the Clown New Member

Good Grief ScottyBot not at all the best thing
    Scotland has ever done, well William Wallace got
    close and that was pretty good as well and hope ya do
    better next time. After all where is Faslane? lol

Faslane!......shut down years ago!
    Where is Sellafield?

7. baldelectrician.com

baldelectrician.com Well-Known Member

scotty, there is no part P here.

So you are ok, providing the work is not in a block of flats, maisonette or a house above 2 storeys.

Lack of warrant will only become an issue when someone sells.

A warrant is effectively permission from the council in writing to do said works. No warrant no house sale.

Was speaking to another spark this week who told me a customer of his did a loft conversion 15 years ago without a warrant. Now he is selling the house he needs one (he has to apply for a warrant to do a loft conversion or put the house back the way it was)

Trouble is if he did a building warrant then he would only have to meet the regulations at the time. As he is applying now he has to meet the regs now (not just electrical but building)

The wall and other insulation will need upgrading, the glass will have to meet current heat efficiency targets.

He will have to use an approoved certifier to do the electrics and structural stuff.

This building regs thing has been around for years up here (last building Scotland act was 1959) so there is no excuse not to know what needs to be done.

If you cut corners it may cost more in the end.

The warrant thing only applies to certain houses (flats maisonettes, conversions etc), not all work in houses.

It also applies to non domestic things, which I will not go into here.

In times gone by (before 1st May 2005) you could get away with a "letter of comfort" from the council- a letter of comfort says they are happy it complied to the regs at the time it was done.

This back door route is NOT available now.

8. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Guest

Good advice - thanks baldelectrician.

I didn't realise the 'letter of comfort' process was a thing of the past.

The kitchen in question is in a flat but if I can get away without altering the current wiring, then just replacing kitchen units and worktops is not notifiable??

Although I suppose any Corgi guys hooking up a gas hob (if there is one) will have the same issues??

Scotty