Part P

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by peterh, Apr 17, 2015.

1. peterh

peterh New Member

Hello,

Is it worth me completing part p and domestic installation training to carry out electrical work in my own home i.e. installation external lighting and power to shed and general renovations to my home? I completed my city and guilds in electrical installation in 2004 and have been an electrical/electronic engineer for 10 years doing industrial work so have no issue with completing the course but it does seem to be expensive. Are there also other costs involved with getting the necessary qualifications to carry out domestic work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

2. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

No the cost of being a scheme member is too high to be worth it unless you are going to need to notify many jobs through the year. I found my LABC actually accepted my degree in Electrical and Electronic engineering to allow me to complete all sections of the installation certificate. Personally I think this was wrong and they should have asked for a C&G 2391 but he was not interested. This is a problem the LABC often don't know what qualifications are. It is some times hard to get the inspector to accept you have the knowledge even when you have the qualifications. They would not allow my son to complete the installation certificate and he had C&G 2391 and at that time C&G 2381 now C&G 2382 so passing the exams does not mean the LABC inspector will let you DIY it is as much down to the trust he has in your ability. So as my son found out you can pass all the exams and the inspector still wants to make you pay for a tradesman of their selection to inspect and test.

There is a book it was called Book 3 from the IET which does lay down the procedure for inspection and testing and we found also having the meters on display when the inspector calls does help persuade him you are able to do your own inspecting and testing. But it is a personal call of the LABC inspector passing exams may help but it's more to do with him trusting you.

peterh and FatHands like this.
  3. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

The main problem with BC is that its all done via electronic registrations now.....so they not interested in doing any paperwork for free.
    RS

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You could just not bother. If you can issue and EIC to BS7671 when the work is done, write on it "for info purposes only, no garantees or warrenties made etc etc", when/if you come to sell the house it's really up to the buyer to take it or leave it. The buyer, or yourself, can buy insurance against not having the work done to building regs if you complete your sale.

FatHands likes this.