Partion wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by samir oumaouche, Oct 2, 2015.

1. samir oumaouche

samir oumaouche New Member

Hi All,
    I am turning my living room into a bedroom so that I can get a lodger in, when building the partition wall do I have to use a fire line plasterboard or can I just use normal ones.

2. If you are considering noise too, then use soundbloc plasterboard on resilient bar - that will also provide fire protection. Note that the 15mm board is 49kg so you might want some assistance carrying them.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Good advice. You could also double up thickness of PB on one side. Put some insulation in too. I've recently done a similar thing in a property as mentioned in your previous post...and it worked very well, for very little outlay. Don't forget your smoke alarm.

4. samir oumaouche

will it make a deference whether I use timber studs or metal?

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Will the closed off room have a window that opens large enough for fire escape?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Good point Handy, but if its downstairs and opens on to a hallway then technically shouldn't need it.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

True, but I'm then wondering how the householder(samir) has access to the rest of the house! Through the lodgers bedroom?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yep, good point. I recently re-partitioned a front room back into 2 rooms like it was originally. Easy to find the blocked up door, knocked out the blockwork and put a frame back in. Voila...2 bedrooms. Even though the bay windows were not fire escape windows, the HMO officer was satisfied as both room opened on to a hallway.

9. samir oumaouche

Will access via the hallway, it's a flat