Party Wall Dispute

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jitender, May 23, 2016.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Went onto local surveyorsdirect and found a few surveyors in the area, one emailed me - looks promising, been quoted nearly half that figure now £540!

KIAB likes this.
  2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Surveyor just turned up, seems very professional and knows what he's on about.

I have formally appointed him to act on my behalf, so everything is now underway.

Well worth to cost.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Having a surveyor who is conversant with the party wall act, is money well spent, & will save you a lot of grief & extra expense.:)

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

PW surveyor has just been out today and carried out a schedule of conduit for one neighbor. She is content for the works to go ahead and signed to say that work can begin earlier than the normal 2 month notice period. But has made it clear that no access into the loft by contractors. The pw surveyor discussed stitch drilling some of the bricks and chopping them out in situ to avoid making good to her side.

The other neighbors have only been here less then 12months so are only on an introductory tenancy with the council, so are not able to sign, but a schedule of condition will be arranged for their side too.

5. I'm surprised this has anything to do with the tenant.

From any structural point of view, of course. If they were to be inconvenienced (clear your loft oot, missus, 'cos we want in there), that's probably a different issue.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The notice will be going to the chief executive of the council, as he/her only has the authority to consent, but I'm sure their senior surveyor will go over everything. They have 14 days to either consent or dispute.

Could got a bit more expensive, if dispute arises.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just remove a few rooftiles to gain access to next door,simple job to patch felt & replace tiles afterwards...:rolleyes:

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The quote has come through, and it will cost £6100 for the beams :eek:.

Steels on the other hand are about £1500 (this includes the floor joists as well).

9. A zero-brainer then?!

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Save the money and put it towards moving house!

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Over 6k for telebeams.:eek:

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is based on a 'velux' loft room conversion only. If a dormer is to be added then the beams would need flitch plates added, also a ridge beam - this they wont supply which could add more to the cost. When I initially contacted them the quote came out to 5K which would have been more affordable.

Steels would have allowed a dormer to be added to the back and according to the architect would have added more value to the house, as it would have included and en-suite. The height isn't terribly high either, and the plans from them show a height of 2.1m.

The council still have 7 days to reply or it will go to dispute, and could become more costly..

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Revived contact form the PW surveyor today, unfortunately the council have dissented for both properties, although this may not seem they are disputing the works, but require and 'award' for reassurance that everything is carried in in a safe manner and to high standards. They have also mentioned to use their own surveyor for the works (not sure of what they are likely to charge).

As part of the award a 'Method statement' is required, PW surveyor mentions that a reputable builder would supply this on request, has anyone done anything like this?

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just had a estimate come through from a building contractor to do the loft would cost £53k :eek:

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not a viable project.:(

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I'll wait a while and see if I get a reply from the council, but I am not holding and hopes and have a feeling it's not going to be a quick response.

I would still go ahead with the telebeam proposal if the option fails, I have done quite a lot of work in preparation for the loft anyway, like fire doors upstairs, and minor wall re-positioning, so far it has costed quite a bit after employing architect and other fees (maybe under £3000).

Even if it is limited head room, I still think it is a good idea as would potentially be a 3 bed house as opposed to 2up2 down.

I plan on doing most myself if its just going to be 'velux' loft conversion.

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Had a reply back from the PW surveyor, and the council are requesting to see a method statement as he mentioned.

Its basically a statement to show how the work will be carried out to ensure

I think I will have to end up writing this up, builders so far have not been interested in the job after posting job.

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A monumental task!:eek:

A lot of builders wouldn't want the hassle of this job.

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The may not accept one just from yourself and may have to be written / authorised by a structural engineer or similar