Passive or Active RCD

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MrData, Aug 24, 2004.

1. MrData

MrData New Member

Sorry to ask such a basic question but I'm trying to find out the difference between a Passive and Active RCD. I'm thinking of having a couple of outside sockets fitted but am confused about the differnces. I've read the descriptions on the ScrewFix website and they both appear the same. I've even telephoned them but they could not assist, any help would be appreciated.

2. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

No you're not - if you were sorry you'd have taken the trouble first of all to use your favourite Internet search engine to search for +rcd +active +passive, but you couldn't be bothered, could you?

No they are not - you really do need to learn to pay attention when you read, don't you. Here's the description - I've highlighted a couple of parts that might help the hard-of-thinking:

<u>Active control circuit</u>: Incorporates 're-set' mechanism. Functions under normal conditions expected of an RCD, but will also trip in the event of a power cut or dramatic reduction in mains voltage. Ideal for use where rotating machinery / heat developing apparatus become energised after a power cut. <u>Passive control circuit</u>: Incorporates stay set mechanism. Is mains failure proof, ie will function under normal RCD conditions but will not trip in the event of power cut. Ideal for freezers or inaccessible or unmanned locations.
    They're obviously as incapable of reading their website as you are.

3. MrData

MrData New Member

ban-all-sheds,

Yes, I was sorry about asking what would appear to be a basic question, but surely this is what a forum/question section is for? Or have I got this wrong as well?

Yes, I did do a search on the web but not being an expert got bogged down with the jargon.

Yes, I did read the descriptions and both were the same and are still the same! This was confirmed by the sales assistant at the time. Look at item numbers 41251 and 50803 and you will see the descriptions are identical.

Where did you find the item descriptions when I didn't even list the product numbers? Do you work for ScrewFix?

The words "obviously as incapable of reading their website as you are" come to mind. Now where did I read that?

4. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

No, you've not got it wrong, but if you believed it, why did you say you were sorry to be asking the question?

I just tried that very search on AltaVista. The second link was to a document (http://www.greenbrook.co.uk/pbcat.pdf) which contained this description:

Passive: Mechanical latching &#150; does not need resetting after a power loss
    Active: Electrical latching &#150; needs resetting after a power loss

I'm sorry - but if that to you is expert jargon then you aren't ever going to understand the difference.

Yes - they are the same, they are identical. What Screwfix have done is to put the description of both types of RCD against the active one and against the passive one.

But so what? The description is "Active control circuit. <blah blah blah description of how an active one works and what it is best used for>. Passive control circuit. <blah blah blah description of how a passive one works and what it is best used for>."

Why is this (still) causing you a problem?

I did a search on their website. Searching for "active" or "passive" produces 4 or 5 results, 3 of which are RCD sockets. You don't need to be a Sherlock Holmes to find the only one out of three which has a descrption of the differences between Active and Passive.

No.

I think you've got this wrong. I am capable of reading a block of text which says "Active control circuit. <blah blah blah description of how an active one works and what it is best used for>. Passive control circuit. <blah blah blah description of how a passive one works and what it is best used for>." and understanding that it is telling me what the characteristics are of an Active RCD, and what the characteristics are of a Passive RCD.

You, it seems, are not.

5. MaryWhitehouse

MaryWhitehouse New Member

BAS you quite clear are the most intelligent man on the planet, and capable of reading to boot.

But you are also the most pedantic, sarcastic little gobshite (ooh now you've made a pensioner swear) I've met.

The poor chap only asked a simple question. Perhaps next time, info - sarcasm would be better.

Also I wouldn't advise you to go into the diplomatic service.

6. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

If you are going to criticise people for what you see as failings, you should get your facts straight. What you just wrote there "you quite clear are the most intelligent man on the planet" was sarcasm - what I wrote was not

Well, quoting the dictionary definition of pendantry would be the mother of all ironies, wouldn't it. But I get the impression that whatever you believe it to mean, you think that it is to be denigrated. If I'm right in that, why do you regard a desire to read things accurately, and to take the trouble to analyse and understand what they say, and to point out what they say to people who do not take that trouble as somehow reprehensible?

This time I'll leave the sarcasm to you. But I'll go through this "simple question" issue again, since you're obviously not paying attention either.

MrData wrote:

"I'm trying to find out the difference between a Passive and Active RCD. I'm thinking of having a couple of outside sockets fitted but am confused about the differnces. I've read the descriptions on the ScrewFix website and they both appear the same."

So I replied, pointing out that they were not the same. I quoted, verbatim, the descriptions from the ScrewFix website, and I highlighted parts of them to draw his attention to the fact that there was a part which was the description of an Active RCD, and a part which was the description of a Passive RCD, and to emphasise the fundamental difference between the two types, namely which trips on loss of power and which does not.

Consider the same description, only with even more reformatting:

Are you seriously telling me that that does not clearly describe the difference between an Active and a Passive RCD?

MrData had said he was looking for an explanation of the difference, and said that the ScrewFix website didn't say what the difference was. I pointed out that it did explain the difference, and that the information he sought was exactly where he said it wasn't.

The comment about him not paying proper attention was entirely justified. The version of the descriptions immediately above contains exactly the same words as the one on the website. All I've done is to change the formatting and add some bullets, nothing else. I think it's quite a clear description, but even if someone doesn't fully understand it, it is obvious that there is a difference between the two types.

Anyone who thinks that a difference has not been explained can only do so because they didn't read it properly. Not reading things properly can have dire consequences, for example with laws, contract terms & conditions, safety instructions, and I believe that I was quite right to tell MrData that he really does need to pay attention when reading. Paying attention to what you are reading is of particular importance in the context of this forum. People who buy and fit electrical accessories without paying attention to the specifications or the fitting instructions can kill themselves.

I might do better than you - at least I don't swear at people.

7. graham

graham Guest

As neither a pensioner nor an electrician might I observe that it is by questioning we learn.

The poor chap might never dare to ask another question, which would be a shame.

8. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Now now ladies!

TT

9. Electro-tech

Electro-tech New Member

I must say that this forum is getting worse,Folk post a Question and get abuse,or valid information, and to think that there are regulations BS7671 stating that there is only one correct answer,and certain idiots always give there own interpretation of this.Instead of acting out the GOD routine why don't the so called experts take a break and read the regs and take a course in public relations. I think it is time to take a vote and list all the undesirables that misuse this forum,and ban all SH**

10. Flashbang

Flashbang New Member

BAS- Stop using the HRT, you're turning into an old woman!!!

11. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Indeed we do, all of us, including pensioners and electricians.

Indeed it would, if there are things he wants to learn, and there people here who can teach him.

12. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Is this at all relevant to the original question about the differences between active & passive RCDs, or the fact that Mary Whitehouse took umbrage at me pointing out that MrData's claims that the information was nowhere to be found were demonstrably false?

13. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

I'm neither, nor do I profess to be much of an expert on non-recreational pharmaceuticals, but isn't HRT supposed to ameliorate the aging process in women, not assist it?

14. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo b a s

you are of course right about the description being correct
    although have you never had a passage or two youve
    read could not make head nor tail off
    but on reading it later made perfect sense
    im not having a go at you its not my style
    but please chill out
    we all get asked the same silly questions 7 million times
    but they are only silly when you know then answer

from your humble understudy

big all

15. Stoday

Stoday New Member

You guys who received a pedantic response from BAS have only yourselves to blame. You didn&#146;t grovel sufficiently low or lick his cyberarse.

BAS is not turning into an old woman; he has already become Almighty and issues ex cathedra statements that are written on cyber tablets.

Big all&#146;s parting grovel was probably only just low enough.

16. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Yup, and if I claim that the information isn't there, and someone is able to show that it plainly is, I say "doh"!.

As is often the case, it's not me that's getting all agitated..

This is not having another go at our supplicant, for he did try to find out, but I am noticing a distressing tendency for people to make absolutely no attempt to search for an answer themselves, but instead to visit fora like these and ask the most trivial of questions.

17. MaryWhitehouse

If I'm right in that, why do you regard a desire to read things accurately, and to take the trouble to analyse and understand what they say, and to point out what they say to people who do not take that trouble as somehow reprehensible?

I don't, just the aggressive nature of your reply was not very nice. When I replied aggressively (on purpose, to provoke a reaction and thereby prove a point) to your post you didn't like it did you? If this guy had asked you the very same question in person would you have been so nasty?

Are you seriously telling me that that does not clearly describe the difference between an Active and a Passive RCD?

Depends what product you are looking at, the brief description of most does not, only on Masterseal product does it have a specifications section with this information. I would guess he wasn't looking at that product.

As is often the case, it's not me that's getting all agitated..

But by your responses you are agitating and insulting others.

but I am noticing a distressing tendency for people to make absolutely no attempt to search for an answer themselves, but instead to visit fora like these and ask the most trivial of questions.

Don't answer it if it is trivial, and all you are going to do is have a go. Leave it to someone else!

Just try and be a bit nicer, come on everybody big group hug. Then we can pick up B-A-S toys and put em back in his pram... tee hee just kidding ;)

18. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

If I'm right in that, why do you regard a desire
    to read things accurately, and to take the trouble to
    analyse and understand what they say, and to point
    out what they say to people who do not take that
    trouble as somehow reprehensible?

I don't, just the aggressive nature of your reply was
    not very nice. When I replied aggressively (on
    purpose, to provoke a reaction and thereby prove a
    point) to your post you didn't like it did you? If
    this guy had asked you the very same question in
    person would you have been so nasty?

Being truthful and critical is not the same as being aggressive and nasty.

Are you seriously telling me that that does not
    clearly describe the difference between an Active and
    a Passive RCD?

Depends what product you are looking at, the brief
    description of most does not, only on Masterseal
    product does it have a specifications section with
    this information. I would guess he wasn't looking at
    that product.

Well, I didn't guess, I looked into it, and it was obvious that he had to be looking at those products, a fact which he later confirmed.

As is often the case, it's not me that's getting
    all agitated..

But by your responses you are agitating and insulting
    others.

Only those not paying attention to what I'm saying.

but I am noticing a distressing tendency for
    people to make absolutely no attempt to search for an
    answer themselves, but instead to visit fora like
    these and ask the most trivial of questions.

Don't answer it if it is trivial, and all you are
    going to do is have a go. Leave it to someone else!

No - it is important to try and stop people being so bløødy lazy.

19. MaryWhitehouse

How about the first Screwfix talk forum vote :)
    <GEORDIE>
    Would B-A-S please come to the diary room
    </GEORDIE>

Who thinks
    A) BAS is correct, and should be applauded
    B) BAS is a pompous git, and self appointed forum guardian, who delights in pointing out the flaws in others for his own amusement.
    C) BAS does have some very good knowledge to contribute, but the delivery could be better.
    D) I should beat him round the chops with my handbag. Then make him eat a whole packet of fishermens friend.
    E) BAS has a beard, probably a fairly bushy one like Brian Blessed. (oh he was such a lovely man, very big hand he really could... sorry drifted off there!)
    F) This vote is getting silly

I vote C, though I would enjoy D, and think E is probably true.

There endeth MW's contribution to this thread, my point has been made it's up to BAS to ingnore it or take it on board.

20. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Questions are posted here and the answers, usually well-informed, cost nothing to the one who asks.

Think about this before you start to castigate people for providing solutions to your problems, regardless of personal style of delivery.

Should you not want to run the questionable risk of being insulted or whatever, then I suggest you purchase the services of your local tradespeople instead.

I'm sure you'll be hurt much more in the pocket than in your vanities.

TT