Passive or Active RCD

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MrData, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Electro-tech

Electro-tech New Member

I will go for Voting (C)although comes very close to a (B) of late ,hope things will improve HRT PMT WHATEVER !!

2. Flashbang

Flashbang New Member

If ever there was a candidate in terminal need of a Personality Transplant then look no further than BAS. Not sure if you can secure one on the NHS though. However, I feel supremely confident that there will be no shortage of willing benefactors who will contribute generously to a private operation fund so that you may convalesce in a room large enough to accommodate you and your arrogance.

I have a vague suspicion though that BAS does not address the 'Man in the street' with the same disdain as he would rapidally find his more prominent facial features re-alligned 2" to the right or left (wouldn't make much difference) I wager his unique brand of brusque rudeness is reserved exclusively for the safe and sheltered virtual environment that an anonymous forum affords, hiding behind a pseudonym and VDU.

I have wasted enough time on this loon.

3. MrData

MrData New Member

I have now learned about the differences between the passive and active RCD's, but not I hasten to add from this forum.

Surely a forum is a place to ask questions and get advise or help in understanding, from those with more knowledge and not end up with a load of sarcastic comments as a reply.

BAS may think he's the font of all knowledge but all I've learn't from him is sarcasim.

May I suggest that if don't want to help others that you simply refrain from answering questions.

Everyone, please do not respond to this as you are only wasting your time as I will no longer be using this forum!

4. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Well - just in case you can't resist coming back for a peek:

Well - I'm glad that you now know. Not sure why you weren't able to understand the differences from reading this
    but there you go.

No you haven't - I wasn't sarcastic in my replies. You might not have liked me pointing out the truth, i.e. that the information you sought was there all along, but I did so in a factual and accurate manner, not sarcastically.

If I didn't want to help, I'd have contented myself with just telling you to read the website again, rather than spending time highlighting parts of the text to make it easier to understand.

I note, too, that nobody else contributed anything relevant to your question. You clearly didn't like the manner in which I did it, but at least I did answer your question.

I suppose it's goodbye, then.

5. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Pot, meet Kettle.

So you'd have said all that to his face, would you?

6. Flashbang

Flashbang New Member

Without hesitation. I will not be pilloried. I do not write anything on forums, in letters, or say things on the telephone that I would not be prepared to say person to person.

My talents are few, my foibles many, however, cowardice is not one of them.

As you always seem to enjoy the final say, here knock ya self out.

7. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Fair enough. But you're not the only one.

Did anybody suggest it was?

Having the final say is of no importance, but as it was you that brought up the issue of how I might or might not interact with someone in person compared to on a message board, in person if someone says something to me I wouldn't just ignore them.

8. SCR

SCR New Member

Hello Mr Data,

I would go for the passive type unless of course you are powering equipment which may be dangerous when it starts back up automatically after a power cut such as a motor driven machine. The main difference between the two is that the active type incorporates a voltage drop trip as well as a residual current trip. The passive type will only trip if it detects a residual current.

Just sorry that I never posted this sooner...

9. MrData

MrData New Member

SCR,

Thanks for the explanation its exactly what I needed to know and agrees with what Ive since learned about RCDs. At the time of placing my question I knew there was a difference but wasnt able to work it out.

As you may have noticed from my previous correspondence I wasnt going to look at this forum again but as I had a few minutes to spare I thought Id see how my post had progressed. Glad I did.

Cheers

10. Damocles

Damocles New Member

Typically posts get vaguer and run off at a tangent as they get longer. All part of the fun

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Hey, good answer SCR. THE END?????

12. Sparks

Sparks Guest

Not quite the end....
    I'd like to thank the original poster for a)putting up with b-a-s
    and b)asking the question in the first place. Had he managed to find the information himself, this topic would have not occured, and i'm sure that some readers of this may have learnt the difference between the active and passive rcd's...
    and i wouldn't have been entertained for the last 10 minutes!
    PS... i think B, bordering C at a push.

13. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Blimey - if you're catching up from this time last year, you've got a lot of reading, and a lot more entertainment to come... ! :)

14. britishblue

britishblue New Member

I think BAS has every reason to be **** off. This is a help website, but some enquirers are just too lazy to look for the answer in the obvious place, or if they they have the answer in front of them, they are too lazy to read it.

It's very easy to sit back and say "please help me" when you haven't made any attempt to find out for yourself.

BB

15. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Here Here!

16. BigBob1975

BigBob1975 New Member

Wow BAS is a really nice chap. Wonder if he's still on this mortal coil, would be a shame if he'd met some horrible end...

17. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

put simple once set if power supplying it fails the active (or non laching) will trip off untill power restored and is reset where a passive (or laching) will once set if the suppying power fails will not trip and does not need reset once supply power has been restored

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Where is BAS nowadays? the chap hasn't posted for yonks.

19. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

He has been delivering his words of wisdom HERE and elsewhere too, I expect.
    His delivery has not mellowed with time, either!

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Baz - just had a quick dekko on that site and I see Ban is still on form..:)