PAT TEST

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by tore81, Sep 9, 2016.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Can anyone please tell me is a computer monitor a class 1 appliance.

no class 2 symbol on appliance.

Also best way to test hardrive safely, I hate PAT testing .

I have two near identical hardrives in an office one passes and the other fails on the same test.

Any help would be great

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

PAT testing a hard drive..:confused::eek:

It's 12v, NOT 240v...:eek:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Crikey..:)

4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

you'll know what I mean

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

System tower! Computer! I've just put 1000v through it

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I think the geezer must have pat tested the servers in t' office Mr T - both were alright and then suddenly one is taken out by the PAT test. Hmmmm don't know anything about PAT testing but in cases of things like computers and TV's and stuff in that ilk - surely a visual inspection is the way to go? you know inspecting the leads for chaffing etc.

Don't know if you could join the l + n together and perform an ir across said to e - but the results would be meaningless tbqh I would think.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek:

Insulation test 500V DC will still kill a pc I reckon.

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

A portable appliance tester, when doing an insulation test, shorts live and neutral together, before chucking, typically, 500v, down the wires to see if the insulation is up to it.
    Contrary to popular belief this procedure will not fry PC'S and the like.

tore81 likes this.
  9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I believe that when PAT testing IT equipment, what you do is test the power cables only, going to the computer/ printer/ IT equipment, although some modern PAT testing equipment is capable of testing a computer. If you have to PAT test the computer for earth continuity itself, use a tester that supplies no more than 200mA during the test, as there's a risk of damage to the motherboard at higher mA.

10. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Yes, it is. After all it is earthed.

That said there are different test recommendations for IT equipment. Read the Code of Practice (4th Edition).

11. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Most monitors are plastic with no metal parts on show.

12. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

The VGA connector would be earthed.

It's fans I find that are usually class 1, with no exposed earthed parts. You can test insulation, but lim the earth bond.

It gets me when the one day wonders test class 2 kit. Plug in, press test.....of course it will pass.

tore81 likes this.
  13. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

IT equipment needs inspected every 24 months and tested every 48 months. Servers probably never! I don't know any sys admin who would let the Pat test guy into a server room.

tore81 likes this.
  14. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I hate PAT testing due to look at it again tommorrow.

So does the computer itself need to be PAT. I am using a prime tester. So I believe it hasn't got the whoomf to fry the electronics so safe enough.

I am testing it with the Earth connection onto s screwdriver metal then onto VGNA connector. As the VGNA doesn't protrude enough to to clip on to direct.

The admin guys aren't to pleased when I have said one computer has failed but the other one has passed using the same method. Office are enquiring and asking questions so want to make sure I have done the correct test. All this for poxy pat testing .

15. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Not under the 4th Edition. Risk assessment determines the intervals, not taken from a table of suggestions.

No need to hate it. Understand what you are testing, why and how.

Have you considered checking earth leakage instead of insulation resistance?

There are other ways of testing that are acceptable.

Kind regards

16. Bazza-spark

Sorry Comlec. A chunk is missing. My comment was that a sys admin would be contravening the EAW Regs by not allowing you to test. The comment about testing should have been for tore81

Kind regards

17. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Hi
    A quick look on the governments Health & Safety Executive web site, gives guidance on PAT testing. It ranges from IT testing of visual inspection every 5 years, to perhaps daily testing on hire tool business's hires:

www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/faq-portable-appliance-testing.htm

• Computers, printers and faxes were not moved around much and were positioned so that the cables could not become trapped, so the probability that items might be damaged was extremely low. The manager decided that they would be maintained by a visual inspection every 5 years.
    It is strongly recommended that equipment suppliers (tool hire business) formally inspect and test the equipment before each hire, in order to ensure it is safe to use. The person hiring the equipment should also take appropriate steps to ensure it remains safe to use throughout the hire period.

Following perusal of the web site my company visually inspects all 'kitchen" and cleaning equipment frequently (approx monthly), and formal testing annually. However static IT equipment (not Laptop PSU's) is only visually inspected annually.

18. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Baz, I forgot to add the bit about risk assessment and the qualifier that the table is just a guide. However, in the 2377 exam there are many questions that require the user to look up the table and refer to the intervals given.

I know of no sys admin currently doing time for telling a PAT jobs worth to sod off. If you install a server room and associated racking and power supplies correctly and make very little alteration to the setup then the risk should be low. Letting a someone from a PAT testing company with little or no understanding of the environment and only a 2377 qualification into a complex server room setup is a much greater risk. I would argue that keeping the PAT tester safe is also part of the EAW Regs. I am not saying these installation do not need regular inspection and maintenance just that it should be done by someone with more knowledge and experience of the environment.

19. Bazza-spark

Agreed.

Kind regards