pat testing certificate.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mak, Sep 25, 2014.

1. mak

mak Member

Hi , I have been asked by a company to produce a pat testing certificate to prove my tools have been pat tested ?, where do you get one of those ?. I have had tools pat tested from time to time, and a sticker put on , but a certificate ?

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I recently had some PA Testing done. They charged £40 min. upto 20 items. They are in Birmingham. A certificate was issued as well.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

From the article Phil has linked to..

"There is no legal requirement to label equipment that has been inspected or tested, nor is there a requirement to keep records of these activities."

And this,,,,
    " Is Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) compulsory?"

"No. The law simply requires an employer to ensure that their electrical equipment is maintained in order to prevent danger. It does not say how this should be done or how often."

Having said this, there's a lot of companies out there that A, think you should have a certificate and B, believe it's compulsory..
    Might be an idea to keep the monkeys happy. ;);)

5. mak

mak Member

Thanks for the replys the company says they must have a certificate and must be pat tested every three months ! . Always the chippys all the bloody tools we have . Still cant find anyone who gives a certificate.

6. mak

mak Member

Should have been a bricklayer all you need is a few old trowels, and a level that don't work.

7. joinerjohn1

I was working on one site (shopfitting) and the H&S person,, (just so happened to be a bloody woman) insisted on asking if my "cordless tools" had been PAT tested.:p:p:p:p

FatHands likes this.
  8. mak

mak Member

H and s woman on site I was on said you need dust extraction on a hand saw !:eek::eek:o_Oo_O

9. joinerjohn1

The woman I mentioned before used to conduct monthly site safety inspections. She insisted on full ppe , hi viz, hard hat and safety boots, yet did her safety inspection wearing open toed sandals. I pointed this out to her one day and her excuse was that safety boots/trainers , hurt her toes (not as much as a brick or a heavy tool would have done) ;);)