Patchy paint on newly plastered walls/ceiling

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Montague, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Montague

Montague New Member

Hi

Hoping someone can give some tips/advice on the paint issue I'm having with painting newly plastered walls.

Bedroom walls and ceiling were plastered a few weeks ago to cover up artex. After the walls were dry we applied dulux new plaster sealer and after that dried we started to paint with Leyland contract white emulsion. That's when the problems start. The walls and ceiling were really patchy with some small areas slightly raised with what looks like a thicker layer of paint on them. These small patches were visible on the ceiling and on the walls.

Having checked the web I thought the best course of action would be to sand down the walls, wash down with sugar soap and reapply the paint. However this time I used thinned down (70:30) dulux brilliant white wall and ceiling emulsion, as I wasn't sure whether the Leyland paint that had been open a couple of months was the issue. So this afternoon I painted the ceiling and one wall and have the same issue. The areas which were affected last time are still problem areas despite the wall been sanded down and washed. What am I doing wrong? I've added a few photos showing the patchy areas (the whiter patches are raised slightly) and also a photo of the wall after it had been sanded and washed with sugar soap - not sure if I should have removed all of the paint, as you can see the whiter areas were the problem parts but are smooth after being sanded down.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Could be excess PVA left on the walls from the plastering.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Were the walls just skimmed or completely replastered.

I would rub all the wall down, then then wash with just water to remove dust, when dry apply a coat of Everbuild 406 Stablishing solution, to seal & bind the surface before painting.

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/406-Stabilising-Solution

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is the emulsion you are using a Contract matt (non vinyl)?

5. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

I would avoid using contract emulsion, (full Stop), contract is normally used for the sealing off bare plaster, as it contains no vinyl it allows the plaster to breathe.

I would suggest you start again, rub down and seal as has been suggested, my choice of poison would be Zinseer Gardz.

Then apply 2 coat of a vinyl Matt

6. echelon101

echelon101 Member

"Leyland contract white emulsion"

This stuff is ****. I have a 10L tub, which I got sucked into buying for £15. It's not worth that. I have used it for touch ups, whenever I have painted doors it has required several coats. Dulux supermatt is meant to be good, or you could just use the standard dulux white. Johnstone's from Homebase is meant to be good too.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Why are you painting doors with contract matt? :confused:

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Not a big fan of leyland emulsion...Armstead trade is pretty good for the money.

10. echelon101

echelon101 Member

Because I am cheap. They are internal doors and look fine. Just needed a bit of effort.

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Cheap or tight?

12. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Astra

I presumed it was contract.

"Leyland contract white emulsion."

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I must go back to specsavers!:D

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The problem is the ceiling has been sealed with new plaster sealer...the paint has nothing to grab , carry on with 2 or 3 more coats, it will cover, but make sure it is dry between coats.