Patchy paintwork

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Amy22, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Amy22

Amy22 New Member

I have spent hours on these doors. Primmed with zinnzer 123, topcoat leyland satinwood. Patchy as hell, feed up. What did I do all prep was carried out, should I have used an Undercoat? Must say I used dulux eggshell on kitchen cupboards.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Probably not enough paint, was the both eggshell and satinwood paint oil or acrylic?

3. Amy22

Amy22 New Member

No used satinwood on doors over zinnzer and eggshell over zinnzer on kitchen cupboards.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is the satinwood oil or acrylic (waterbased)

5. Amy22

Amy22 New Member

Waterbased

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

How many coats of satinwood have you applied?
    Are you using a synthetic brush.

7. Amy22

Amy22 New Member

Yes used roller and synthetic brush. Actual aesthetic is good. As in no brush marks just blooming patchy. I don't know whether to rub back wet n dry and water based gloss in the hope no more patches.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yeah sounds good, wet and dry it and apply another coat. Satinwood is self undercoating but requires a minimum of 2 coats as does Eggshell.

9. Amy22

Amy22 New Member

Thanks you.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You are welcome ;)

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Another thought.....load the roller well by squeezing the roller into the paint so it absorbs the paint rather than sitting on top of the roller surface.

12. Amy22

Amy22 New Member

Watched a video on u tube, re painted with emulsion roller, great as they are flat doors no mouldings.

Astramax likes this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I use 4" mohair rollers for that type of application laid off with a 2" Purdy Monarch brush>

KIAB likes this.
  14. Amy22

Amy22 New Member

That's probably the tech I needed, hay ho I shall buy before I venture upstairs to do the rest, did you get mohair roller in screwfix?

15. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I had the same problem. I replaced the kitchen lights for lower wattage. Seems to have worked.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not Screwfix, I buy my materials from Brewers mostly and have just bought a 10 pack of Hamilton Prestige 4" short pile felt rollers they are excellent.

Amy22 likes this.