Patio grouting

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Graeme1967, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Graeme1967

Graeme1967 Member

Hi , can anyone help me here , I've just grouted my patio slabs with 3/1 mix and then brushed in and give it plenty of water but it's still spongy and not set , did this yesterday morning , is there any way of rectifying it ,any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Plenty of water or too much water maybe!

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You swept it in dry and then wet it I presume.

How wide are the joints, the above is normally only good for joint up to 5mm anything wider needs ironing in with a pointing iron to do a proper job.

Graeme1967 likes this.
  4. Graeme1967

Graeme1967 Member

thsts maybe where I've gone wrong then , is there a way of sorting it please , mine are about 10 mm cheers

Graeme

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Probably start over again!

6. Graeme1967

Graeme1967 Member

Take it all out is that what you mean , it's fairly hard in some places where it has set ??

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Give it a couple of days as it may still set.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I always wet the joints first, using a hose pipe fitted with a piece of 15mm copper pipe,squished down to about 10mm width, will fit the joints perfectly, if you wet the slabs, you'll need to let them dry, otherwise you will stain then when you point them.
    I just use a hand brush to work in a dry 3/1 mix, then use pointing iron to finish off.

9. Graeme1967

Graeme1967 Member

Thanks for the advice , I'll see what they're like in a couple of days and go from there , appreciate the responses

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

How much area is the paving, and the size of the slabs/flags?

You could use a brush in grout available in a tub, sika or geofix do tubs in 15-20kg. No staining the paving, there is also a choice of colours in buff and grey.

11. Graeme1967

Graeme1967 Member

Picture below , bear in mind I've already brush a mix of 3/1 in already

Attached Files:

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Agree.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. Phil the Paver

That stuff is total rubbish, its not waterproof, it is designed to allow water through, this in turn encourages weeds to grow and boy do they grow, never use it again.

14. Graeme1967

Graeme1967 Member

Update in the grouting , my dry mix never set so I've taken it out looks like I'm gonna have to mix it and put in wet

Cheers Graeme

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not wet just moist so the mix is almost dry and then worked well into the gaps, use a soft hand brush to clean off as you go. :)

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If the joints are well wetted, then a moist-almost dry mix should set through hygroscopic process.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  17. Graeme1967

Graeme1967 Member

What do you mean well wetted , don't want to sound thick or anything, pour water in or just wet with a brush ????

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I'm sorry I do not agree with well wetting as suggested, as you come over as a DIYer put it into the joints as a moist like damp mix as you may find that you spoil the slabs by getting it all over the edges of the slabs and spioling the joint lines.

Graeme1967 likes this.
  19. Phil the Paver

Graeme1967 likes this.
  20. Graeme1967

Graeme1967 Member

Cheers for that , food for thought