Patio Work Question

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by spacebiscuit, Jul 25, 2014.

1. spacebiscuit

spacebiscuit New Member

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice regarding my patio. I currently have a builder in who has been doing some on-going works with which I am very pleased with. We have been working on a daily rate which is an arrangement I have been happy with, I'm aware of the pitfalls and although somethings may take longer I'd rather pay a bit more of it means the job is done thoroughly which I am sure it is.

We're now at a stage where my 20 square metre patio is ready to be laid after the preperation has been done (levels dropped and concrete slab laid). I therefore presume the remainder of the work (laying of the slabs) is relatively straight forward to do and complete. I've ask for an estimate on how many days are remaining and the answer was vague, I got the impression another week which seems a bit excessive. So my question is:

1. Am I being impatient and unreasonable in questioning this?

2. How long should I expect 20 square meters of patio paving take to be laid? (patio pack with 4 different sized stones) given that the base is ready to do.

3. Is pointing a big job?

I'm respectful of quality workmanship and unforseen circumstances but I'm starting to lose patience so I'd appreciate your comments and feedback.

Thanks,

Harry.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

One day to lay and another to point. if weather like it is. Ie: sunny. :)

3. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

everything takes longer when the sun is out and you're on a day rate

4. spacebiscuit

spacebiscuit New Member

Yeah i'm beginning to believe that's the case now!

5. spacebiscuit

spacebiscuit New Member

By the way Phil, was your estimate based on one man?

6. Phil the Paver

No it was 1+1 ie: a labourer for mixing the cement, but having said that it's still only 20M2 so it could still be done in 2 days, but to be fair to him allow him 3, that way he's not killing himself to get it done, but a week in taking the Michael.;)

7. Phil the Paver

Out of interest what paving is it.

Four sizes you say, is it Indian Sand Stone. ?

8. spacebiscuit

spacebiscuit New Member

Tuscany from BandQ

9. Phil the Paver

3 days easy for one person.;)

10. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

OH no indian sand stone, been laying this slab for 4 weeks, none of it square, all odd sizes, bent warped twisted, but at least the weathers good :)

11. Phil the Paver

That why I asked, if it was maybe allow him a bit more time for laying it, that or spend more on it and get good square cut slabs.:p

12. Next time get an all in price to either supply and fit, or fit only, that way you wont need to quibble over the time or cost.

The numpty that said the slabs are, bent, warped and twisted, get a life, they are sandstone and not made of cardboard, also they are gauged to size, perhaps you cant lay them properly.

13. Phil the Paver

Some of the Indian sand stone is awful, if you buy cheap you get carp, but for not a lot of money you can get real good stuff

14. And if I find out where you live expect a knock on the door.

You don't know what your talking about, bent, warped and twisted, more like your brain.

Stick to window cleaning and baby sitting, you numpty.

15. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Wow I'm really scared...

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sounds like Cotsy should have put more lemonade in his lunchtime shandy. :cool: