Paving ideas for a bendy path please

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by DIYDave., Jun 8, 2014.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi all

Great weather today and me and the wife have been out working in the garden, got loads done but trouble is this gives her even more ideas for future projects !

Currently got a path which I put in about 10 years ago, just red house bricks set on a bit of hardcore and sand. Over the years most of the bricks have spalled ? (think that's the term when the surface crumbles) guess this is due to water soaking the bricks and freezing

I knew at the time that the bricks weren't ideal for this application but they were at the house when we moved in, stacked up in the garage

Anyway, the wife has suggested we remove the bricks, use some kind of paving block or cobbles but instead of the same straight path, we change it to a lazy "S" shape, about 600mm wide

I've laid a patio before but that was straightforward, a rectangle using square slabs and also done a bit of crazy paving (yeah retro style I know) but the thought of working with bends is making me nervous

Want to make this as easy as possible as has to be done at weekends, along with all the other usual family stuff so after some suggestions please on the type of block to use and how it works with the curves

I have a 9" grinder with a decent blade that cuts slabs really neat and tidy as I guess that with the curves, you end up with a lot of cutting

Anyway......Thanks for reading

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Work out the shape you want then either set in edging stones or a block paving set in concrete, then lay blocks in between like this.

block-paving-detail11.jpg

this way you only have cuts at either end. ;)

Raven9 and FatHands like this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thanks Phil, I like that look already

Don't know why but I was thinking of laying the blocks across the width, more hassle I'm sure
    Yeah cuts just at the ends.....Fantastic tip mate, thanks

So, edging blocks set in concrete or mortar ?
    These terms seems interchangeable but I thought concrete was mortar with stones in it, like an all-in ballast mix 6 parts to 1 cement
    Or use a bedding mortar, say soft sand 4 parts to 1 cement
    What would be the best recipe here Phil

Then lay the blocks on compacted hardcore and sand I take it

Thanks again Phil, helpful

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I all ways bed the edging block on a sharp sand mix, nice and strong 4.1, the main reason is that we use sharp sand to lay the blocks on so its readily available.

Just make sure you measure the width of one of the type of block you use, then times it be x number to get overall width of the path, allow 7 or 8mm in a metre width for when you go around the bends.

5. Biochef

Biochef Member

You do realise in a few years time you won't have spare bricks to do repairs to your wall when face falls of bricks :eek::(

Raven9 likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

How many people have "spare" bricks for their house Bio ?

Or are you attempting a spot of humour ????????????????

7. Need a bigger hammer

Need a bigger hammer Active Member

Well! I don't know about anyone else, but I have loads...:)

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well, good for you mate.......I hope you sleep well at night safe in the knowledge that you have plenty of spare bricks for your house......well done to you :D

9. Need a bigger hammer

Need a bigger hammer Active Member

Oh I do, believe me... You never know when you are going to need a spare brick or two. Sometimes just to knock sense into people making smart arsed comments...:rolleyes: