Pay cheap you get a cheap job!!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by plumberboy, Oct 26, 2014.

1. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

I went to a job the other week to replace an under sink heater that was leaking badly, well when I looked at it I had to laugh:p the guy that installed it (fooked it up) used the pressure relief valve on the in coming main and jammed it open with a small stone because the incoming pressure would not push past it.:p:eek:It had no pressure reducing valve,no expansion vessel,no prv because he'd used that on the incoming and I can only assume he thought it was a pressure reducer.:pNo check valve ha ha!! the list goes on.
    Well what can I say the customer thought he'd got a bargain with that guy,and now he has had to pay me to supply and fit a proper job.:D

2. plumberboy

Here's a PIC. IMG_20141026_184447.jpg

3. plumberboy

Here's mine.

Attached Files:

4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Just need to sort out your camera skills now then PB!, lol :p

FatHands and plumberboy like this.
  5. plumberboy

Ha Ha!!! I know Rulland it's shoite.:p

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

And buy one of those asbestos sheets so ya dunna burn the inside of the kitchen units either. :p:p:p:p:p:p

plumberboy likes this.
  7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

they're great little heater those PB and srewfix knock em out cheaper than anyone, last one i bought was just under the ton mark and works a treat,

plumberboy and FatHands like this.
  8. plumberboy

I've fitted loads Tom and your right they are fantastic and work really well,and cheap.;)

9. plumberboy

Cheeky!!! The silly thing is JJ them cupboards have all got to be replaced soon,that's why I set them on fire.:p No doubt I'll have to go back when cupboards are being done.

10. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

good stuff PB! ;)

plumberboy likes this.
  11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

ah the old burning cupboard complaint by the joiner, the thing is JJ the 3 things you have to do to get a good joint is
    1. clean pipe n' fittings
    2. flux it
    3. make sure its hot enough,
    fail on any of those and it will leak, and if it does its a night mare with water in, so us plumbers make sure its hot enough, now from an uninitiated person , there are 2 things they look for,
    1. pipework hanging in the breeze (too far off the surface)
    2. burned surfaces,
    you can't have both,(yes i know about plumbers burn matts) they help but are a bloody nuisence,
    undersinks get scorched, live with it , :):)

12. joinerjohn1

I know Tomp. When fitting kitchens I'll do me own wet plumbing. I'll solder joints when altering the plumbing before installing the kitchen (if the plumbings being altered), but prefer to leave tails coming off the wall then use compression fittings to connect up (so there's no burn marks) ;);)

13. plumberboy

Its not so easy when your working with existing pipe work and cupboards though JJ.I have a matt which I use in areas of view but they are a pain in the @rse if I'm honest,but I agree with you in regards to fitting a new kitchen prep as much as possible.;)

14. joinerjohn1

Agreed PB. I meant when I'm fitting a kitchen and have took the old one out, then alter the plumbing to suit the new one. I've fitted a couple of Ikea kitchens where the location of the runs for plumbing need special consideration, due to the lack of a service void behind the units. Know what you mean about the mats too.

15. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

I find those mats absolutey fine. i usually hold them them temporarily in place with duct tape and in realy sensitive areas (e.g. along a painted skirting) use additonally aluminium foil. I've also tried that spray on gel to protect paintwork etc. It works Ok providing you are fairly quick!

diymostthings

16. joinerjohn1

Tip time,,, If you haven't got an asbestos mat, use a piece of plasterboard to protect woodwork when soldering joints in situ. :p:p Another top tip from JJ.. (well the first of many I hope) ;);)

17. plumberboy

Tip time No2 ,if you have an airlock in your hot or cold gravity feed taps,you can suck the water through with a wet VAC.;)If you have one:oops:.

18. plumberboy

Tip time No3.Subscribe to Tomplum on YouTube for all the tips your ever need,Wigan's finest plumber.;)

19. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

gerrroff, :):):)

20. plumberboy

;);)