Pebbledash removal

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by COLIN NASH, Sep 29, 2016.

1. COLIN NASH

COLIN NASH New Member

hi guys , I need some advice please , have just bought a bungalow which is pebbledash right over the DPC my question is how easy is it to remove it from below the DPC as I don't want to get any damp problems in the future and secondly how can I clean up the brickwork underneath ( chemicals / tools needed ) or would it better to just paint it , as the wife does like the look of it ! ( I did tell her that she should get out more , thanks for your advice in advance regards Colin

2. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

It wont be a fun job, I've done it and I went to it with a tile chisel on the SDS drill, and also used a selection of chisels. A wire brush and some aggressive cleaner will clean up the hidden brickwork behind. You would be able to do it with just a chisel bolster and hammer, but it takes a little longer.
    Remember to inspect the brickwork behind, if you damage anything, you have to repoint it!

3. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

If you want to minimise the risk of cracking then mark a line at the height you want to remove it up to e.g 300mm from floor,then use a grinder to cut along this line right through the pebbledash.Then remove the section below using whatever method you choose,the "break" that you've cut with the grinder will prevent the stuff breaking off in big lumps and damaging it where you want to keep it.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

What I have done before is to use a "wall chaser" which is a bit like a plunge saw for walls. You can hire these quite cheap for a day. With the wall chaser you can set the depth and it will slice through the render like a circular saw through timber. The plunge saw can make a single slot or twin slots -you just need to make a lot of these parallel and below the DPC. Then chisel off the residue with an SDS drill. I would also get a wire brush attachment and an angle grinder to remove the residue.

5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

That's a Brilliant idea, the brushes on a grinder...
    If id only thought of it when I did mine!

6. COLIN NASH

COLIN NASH New Member

Hi guys thanks ever so much for all the tips . I really appreciate it and that's a brilliant idea about the angle grinder - I must admit I never realised they did a wire brush version thanks for that . I may get the wife involved and get her to take the pebble dashing off with her teeth ( it will save me some pennies ) and in return I'll trim off her bunions with the wire brush on the angle grinder ( for better or for worse and all that !!) once again many thanks Colin

Joe95 likes this.