Peeling paint on old plaster

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Bm05, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Bm05

Bm05 New Member

Hi,

I am new to decorating and have never had any problems with what little painting I've done so far so apologies if this is a simple problem to solve that I should really know about. I've had a quick read at a few similar questions but they refer to new plaster.

Yesterday I painted my bedroom ceiling. It was plastered 12 years ago and the paint has been fine all these years apart from hairline plasterboard movement cracks. I bought an elastic paint to stop these cracks happening again. After I'd finished I noticed some big bubbles, then cracking appear. The paint is now peeling off very easily in big chunks bringing the old pain with it and exposing the plaster. This has happened to about a third of the ceiling in patches. The rest is stuck like **** to a blanket :mad: And taking hours at a time to scrap off.

So my first question is...do i keep scraping and sanding until it's all off or is there a product that will remove it easily?
    And more importantly what do I do to stop this happening again? (My friends are screaming PVA glue at me - if this is the answer, how much do I water it down by?)

Thank you for reading.

Attached Files:

2. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Looks like the very first coat of paint was put on without being diluted (Mist coat) as it hasn't stuck to the plaster at all in the picture or it could be that this area hadn't been rub down slighting before painting to provide a key (PVA no), you've gone over this and as it's wet has caused it to separate from the plaster.

B J

FatHands and Bm05 like this.
  3. Agree with Blue jacket completely and keep pva well away from it just strip and sand the affected area then mist coat and then paint as normal

Bm05 likes this.
  4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When you say you brought an 'elastic' paint, do you mean a special basecoat or something like Polycell ceiling paint?

5. Bm05

Bm05 New Member

Thank you all for your reply! All I've done today is scrape off the old paint and I've still got a good day or two to go by the looks of it:(
    I'm glad I've stuck with my gut instinct for now and not used pva.
    It has just occurred to me, why is some of the plaster pink and some white? image.jpg The pink is rough and the white is smooth. Is this going to be a problem when I do a proper mist coat? I know there were rumours that the guy who renovated it used boat paint because the paint kept peeling off. Hope he hasn't ruined my chance of putting it right!
    Yes the elastic paint I bought is polycell crack-free ceiling pain. Is that good or bad? I've got some ordinary emulsion to water down for the mist coat when I've finished scraping/sanding then was going to get another tin of the polycell for the next coat(s)???

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I dont think you need polycell ceiling paint as the plaster is in good condition. I renember using this stuff on my kitchen ceiling and it started bubbling, some reaction with the previous paint so wouldnt use this product.

the basecoat by polycell though is good and have not had any problems its very thick snd eill covet in 2 coats.

If the plaster id very smooth lighly sand it down prior to painting.

Bm05 likes this.
  7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Very likely with all that scraping there's now going to be a few gouges and marks in the plaster

These actually show up better after the mist coat has dried.
    So after all that scraping and sanding you may well think the ceiling looks pretty good now - hit it with a mist coat and all the imperfections will show up

That's not such a bad thing really as after spending so much time with the prep, you want the ceiling looking good. So fill any damaged areas, sand down so perfectly blended and mist coat again

Check the ceiling carefully in good light from all angles for anything you've missed - when your happy, two full topcoats and your done

Bm05 likes this.