Peeling paintwork

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by jacksecho, Jul 9, 2016.

1. jacksecho

jacksecho New Member

Repainted my skirtings and staircase before new carpeting using dulux trade high gloss and now today after the carpet has gone in nearly four days later the paintwork is like the photos below.

It's still tacky on top and the parts that seem dry literally can be scraped off with a fingernail i won't lie and say I've prepped fully some places it's been painted over no nonsense acrylic primer but it ran like crazy and dried uneven so I gave that up and painted over the old water based undercoat that was left on from a few years ago I've painted over this in other rooms using different brand gloss with no drying problems but this just stubbornly isnt drying, will I have to strip it all off and start again which is worst case scenario as I dont want to wreck my new carpet or can it be salvaged and dried out? If this is a lost cause any advice about how to redo this properly would also be much appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Very poor preparation and cr*p undercoat, did you wash the greasy hand rail with a hot water sugar soap solution, use of the appropriate undercoat would be recommended (Dulux Trade) after thoroughly abrading and washing all surfaces to be painted.

KIAB likes this.
  3. jacksecho

jacksecho New Member

It
    It was indeed washed down with hot water and sugar soap prior to painting. Would that be your advice with the skirtings as well?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

....all surfaces to be painted.
    Did you rinse it off after the wash?

5. jacksecho

jacksecho New Member

I did but the rail still felt sticky even after the cleaning.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sounds like the sugar soap solution was to strong a mix and has affected the surface. I do not believe the high gloss paint is at fault.