Pergola wall plate mounting

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ChrisDev, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ChrisDev

ChrisDev New Member

Hello all,

My first post here. Can someone give me some pointers on a Pergola i am about to construct. It is to sit against the house over a patio and i want to use a wall plate mounted on the house to take the rafters off of. The issue i have is my house is clad 3/4 of the way down with angled tiles, they look like a small roof tile. Do i drill through the tile and mount the plate over and secure through? Do i remove the tiles from that point down (I am not sure what the wall is under it, would be feasible if the wall is the same as the bottom third i.e. brickwork) Do i remove one course of tiles and mount the plate there?

Also how do i go about removing a tile? say 5 courses up from the lowest, do i have to remove all the ones below first?

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

There will be batten behind the tiles, they will be nailed on, they should come off by pulling down on them and giving them a wiggle, maybe a slate puller will help get the nails out.
    Once your joists are sat on your wall plate you will have to cut the tiles around the rafters, you might have to add more batten.
    Its not a job for a novice, I would build a free standing pergola with four posts in this situation

KIAB likes this.
  3. Doall

Doall Active Member

As above built plenty of them even the smoking ban came into for for public houses really easy to do tbh and very sturdy

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

As below, in yours you would have a fourth post rather than building rail into wall.
    It saves all the problems of finding a secure fixing, water ingress,etc.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Personally I'd leave well alone and have it free standing, you run the risk of water ingress removing tiles.

If your pergola is to have a solid roof then you could dress lead to waterproof it, but I doubt its going to.

KIAB likes this.
  6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And of course the problem that soon as you start disturbing the tiles, they start snapping as easy as a Jacobs cracker

As other have said, make it free standing and use corner bracing to stiffen it

upload_2017-2-22_23-8-18.png

KIAB likes this.
  7. ChrisDev

ChrisDev New Member

Thanks for all the replies. I think the free standing option is going to be best given what I have seen myself and heard here. I am not a complete novice in this type of work but have been worried about the water run off and what I might find underneath or have to hide when I take things down. I have a single storey outbuilding to one side of the patio, 6 feet from the house but joined at roof level to the house so think I'll have 3 posts to the ground and that side taken off the outbuilding fascia.

Thanks again for the prompt replies.

Chris

wiggy likes this.