petrol belle maximix mixer dont start

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Big Bad Adam from Scotland, Apr 23, 2017.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wish he was closer, I soon have it going.:)

2. Noops Devils i didnt know about the spark touching earth, thanks for that!

Think first thing i will do is replace the spark plug, already replaced the sponge, i was thinking of draining the oil? but couldnt see how to do that!

I will get a spark plug today or tomorrow and post updates, thanks

3. Push that metal clip away from the SP top terminal - it should 'click' away and stay there.

Now try starting your mixer...

(Choke out.)

4. HEY DUDES!

So got me new spark plug, still wont start

See my super duper 4k video please

see if you can spot what this cowboy is doing wrong

gracias

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Are you sure this lever shouldn't have the spring in the bottom hole instead of the top?
    The bent piece nearest the top is a stop and surely that is where the spring should pull it to!
    mixer.jpg

6. Hi

I know when i bought it the guy showed it working, and i know i didnt move any spring

anyone else?

7. It's either the electrics (spark) the fuel (carb) or a knackered engine.

We are pretty sure it ain't the last.

To test for a spark, remove the sparkplug, reconnect the wire to t'top and lay it on its side on top of the engine so that the SP body it touching the metal fins and where you can see the inner spark gap.

Get someone else to pull the starter rope and watch for spark - spark - spark showing.

Checking for fuel getting in is more tricky and really needs someone who knows what they are doing. But a very basic test is to refit the plug, pull out the choke and give it a good half dozen pulls. Quickly remove the sparkplug and look and sniff at the inside bit - does it smell strongly of fuel? Is it wet?

Other than that it's a dismantling job - it may be that water has gotten in to the fuel tank. This carb doesn't appear to have a float chamber that you could check for water.

A more desperate measure would be to get a tin of engine-start which is a very volatile and flammable spray which you fire in through the carb after removing the air filter. This will definitely ignite if there's a spark, so should get your engine coughing over. It might be all that's needed to bring it back to life...

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/bradex-easy-start-300ml

8. hi thanks for above devil will try tomorrow

I want to drain the petrol tank but doesnt appear to be a drain valve? also for oil?

can you spot that? or do i have to take the full engine out to do all that?

cheers

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There is a small square drain plug in one side of bottom of casing to drain the oil, as to removing fuel tank, it's a pig of a job,support bracket again bolted to bottom of casing,then there are two bolts attaching carb to cylinder these need to be removed, then carb which is attached to tank comes away as a whole unit.
    Once removed, it's easy to remove carb from top of tank, if you not familar with the engine & stripping carb to clean it, just remove the whole engine from it's base plate & take it to garden machinery repair place, they can easily mount if need be to start it, but usually just place on ground hold in place with your foot & pull it over.

10. Oh dear dudes

• removed the petrol tank that was easy cleaned all this out

• Took 2 x small square bolts off and 2 x oil covers and flushed out

• New spark plug

Hope darn thing works tomorrow

Until then Whats the best Oil and Petrol to use?

Maybe ive been a dummy i used Unleaded petrol the green can from station forget what oil it was but came out thick black

Attached Files:

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A 10W-30 (SAE30) would be ok.

Only fuel you can use is unleaded petrol.

12. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Is that woodscrew supposed to be some sort of choke. ???

13. The orginal handle snapped so just used a scre to pull it out!

14. Any sign of water or dirt in the fuel tank?

15. Hi Devil

To be honest no not really!

Just black thick oil then the petrol

going to put back together today will add some pics etc later

Got some Unleaded, new spark and newoil sae30 here

That sponge? says ive to soak it in oil?

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

With that sponge soaked lightly in oil (rubbed it in is best) & squeeze out excess, needs to be moist but not dry or over saturated in oil so it's dripping out.

You only need to use a tablespoon of SAE30 oil, & you can wash filter in a degreaser, but I prefer warm water & soap, then dry before oiling, as they get very mucky.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And foam filter gets brittle with age, so will most likely fall apart when washing, but they are cheap to buy.

18. Phil the Paver

For the purpose of getting it started the airfilter is immaterial.

Just make sure you have a spark at the plug and fuel getting through to the cylinder and all should be good, if it still don't start then your in the realms of worn piston rings, sticking valves, holed piston ect ect. But do the basics first.

19. Phil the Paver

One other thing but not sure your engine has one, Honda's do, is the low oil switch, these are a complete pain and often fail, if you have one, just disconnect the wires from it and try.
    This only relates if you have no spark.

Dwcomputers1 likes this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That old B&S junk does not have a low oil switch.