Petrol Water Pump

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Chris Wise, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Chris Wise

Chris Wise New Member

I needs some help .I have bought a petrol water pump to pump out a 6 feet pit, was told the pump (the pump was not bought from Screw Fix ) I was told the pump would pump this pit no problem,so I bought it only to find this pump would pump out water that was the same level has the pump but once you put the suction hose down the pit it just would not pump it out (yes I did re prime it as required ) Cut a long story short .I bought a load of ****.I still need a pump to pump out this pit and once bitten twice shy Just wondered if anyone could tell me what the petrol water pump that Screwfix sell if this would do the job I was looking at the 2" water pump they sell at about £350 I do not and can not afford to make the same mistake again.Anyone want a water pump that only pump out a garden water butt on the same level has the pump it will not do anything else

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hire one for a day.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Look for a good trash pump,semi trash pump, most will handle small bits of gravel,stones up to a certian size,etc.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  4. Chris Wise

Chris Wise New Member

Could be expensive I need to do this at least one a month

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Some pumps have a 'knack' of how to use, like perhaps having a U bend on the outlet pipe to prevent air being drawn back and losing the suction, or having a coil of pipe at the bottom of the pit for example.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

longboat likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member