Philips 'warm glow' 6W dimmable LED

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Just tried a few of these - awesome.

4 wall lights in my bathroom on a dimmer, currently with 42W halogen enveloped-capsules (light equiv of 60W). Full on = very bright.

And, of course, the bludy family leave it full on. Lamps popping at a stupid rate. 2,000 hours ma botty.

Replaced two with these Philips on the same, conventional, dimmer control. Essentially behaved the exact same - dimmed and 'warmed' at the same rate. Fantastic. Seem virtually as bright too.

8 more ordered, and available at less than £4 each but only BC fitting at this price - so I also got some ES/BC adaptors so I could fit them elsewhere in the hoosie :oops:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Have a close look at the lamps or packaging. It is often the case that you have been sold 230v version rather than 240v version. Yes, I know about harmonisation of voltages but the UK still sits 10v above Europe in general. Philips for one and other manufacturers actually make two versions of their GU10s, linears and other lamps - a 230v for mainland Europe and 240v for the UK and Ireland. A lot of on-line sellers just get the cheapest they can, and guess what, they are 230v versions.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Ikea do a very good range of led lamps - just bought a few ses warm white 5w, and the light quality is superb.

Excellent pricing to boot.

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I'll have nearly 1kw worth of traditional lighting in the log cabin, thank chr*** for LED technology!

Had 16x50w GU10s in the previous house's kitchen, it can get expensive.

6. Pollowick

Did you need an oven?

It does not sound much when you say 10p/hour however as the lights could be on for four or five hours per day you suddenly see £40/quarter on electricity ...

7. Phew - you had me running upstairs...

Rated at 220-240V

I think this lot were cheap 'cos they only have BC fittings available.

But they are awesome lamps, the way they dim to a warm glow - exactly like the halogens.

(I do hear a low buzz, mind, which could be an issue in a bedroom or sitting room - perhaps a change of dimmer is required?)

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Fit a Varilight V-Pro dimmer.

https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/compatibility-lamp-type.php

https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/v-pro.php

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. Cool - trailing-edge it is :)

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Silent dimming & no buzzing noise.:)

11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Every dimmer I have ever fitted (mainly in Hampstead but including one in my gaff) always ends up being turned up to the max and switched off and on in max output position with no dimming used whatsoever. Still say that the judicious placing of table lamps etc with nice shades, and fed via 5 amp so's orffffffff of plate switch outside room is the superior way of doing things..:D

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Morning madam. I see that the expensive dimmers you requested to be fitted are all switched in max light output position, may I ask why?

Lady replies - ''We dont turn the dimmers down because it makes the lights to dim''

I rest my case

14. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I reckon I'll need dimmers with 12x 7w LED GU10s, and the dimmer is fed off a switch too so I can leave the dimmers where I want and switch on/off independently :)

15. Pollowick

16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Do we really need all that extra wizardry? I just want to turn the lights down a bit.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Suggest you look at Varilight V-Pro IR touch control and touch & remote control dimmers, they offer you the option to store four lighting profiles.

18. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yeh but, can they be adjusted remotely via an app on your smartphone? Can the dimmer tell when you're about to enter the room and what time of day it is to turn the lights on at the precise correct setting? Bloomin useless if not :rolleyes:

19. Pollowick

Yes, and it will know when the house is empty and alarm set to allow then to turn on and off to give impression of occupancy.

Lighting profiles are not the same as dimmer profiles.

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member