Pinhole leak in copper cylinder ...

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by axial autumn, May 14, 2009.

1. axial autumn

axial autumn New Member

I've got a very small slow leak about half way up my copper cylinder. Its the twin type with the CW storage tank at the top. The leak shows only by the scale around the leak point.

Can i empty and solder it ?? Or stick some araldite in ??

Axial

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

new cylinder

3. Hillbilly Kid

Hillbilly Kid New Member

Time to think about a combi?

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Or unvented cylinder ;)

5. Hillbilly Kid

Hillbilly Kid New Member

Even better!

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Cue Walter....:^O

7. axial autumn

axial autumn New Member

Further exlanation required on whether its possible to fix. And if not possible ......... the reasons why ??

8. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

yes it will solder, if you drain the waterbelow the pinhole and repair, you may need a plumber to do this as it will take a little skill.

9. Bungditin.

Bungditin. New Member

I would rather get a new cylinder,its not a good sign when a hole appears meaning the cylinders wall is corroding and starting to get a little thin.

10. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

I would agree, get a new cylinder.

It is possible to repair it as has been suggested, but I wouldn't bother.

A new cylinder will be fully insulated as well, so it will help pay for itself in a few years - Bet the one you've got is bare copper with an old jacket.

When you're done, weigh the old one into a scrapyard - don't let the plumber take it with him, unless he gives you a very good quote, in which case he may have already worked it into the price.

11. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

price of new cylinder £150 plus fitting,,how long will that take to pay for itself ?....
    2 chioses,,,1, repair for now and save for better system. or 2, go for new system now,
    a new copper cylinder is throwing good money after bad,

12. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

a new copper cylinder is throwing good money after bad,

Why?

Unless he's thinking of changing to an unvented or a combi system, he will need a new cylinder when he changes his boiler.

13. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

correct, stainless steel cylinders on a pressureised system will give a much better effient system, or combi, depending on circumstance,,but to replace a old copper cylinder just to tide you over is not good , a new copper cyl today will cost £150, to wiegh in in the future for less than £30 is throwing money away,

14. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Once cylinders start to fail they will continue to fail. repairs is very temporary at best.

15. selfbuilder.net

selfbuilder.net New Member

To answer your question. Yes you can solder a pin hole leak. I have done it on a few occassions when the customer didn't have the money for a new cylinder. I tell them that they may get another pin hole leak but that is their decision. The repair is viable. I did one 15 years ago on a cylinder and the old guy tells me it is fine. He now says it is a race between him and the cylinder as to which conks out first.

BTW
    I agree with all the comments about better efficiency etc but if you are looking to get out of a fix without spending too much money then solder is a much better bet than Araldite

16. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Epoxy Putty can be used for this, but how long it'll last etc....??? Best getting a new cylinder as advised.

17. Omniscient Polymath

Omniscient Polymath New Member

When you're done, weigh the old one into a scrapyard
    - don't let the plumber take it with him

Oh yeah! whats old grandad in his slippers going to get off a scrappy for the cylinder. £10 if he's lucky! whereas a TIMESERVED plumber with a good working relationship at the scrappy will get £50 no probs.

Great idea you course cowboy tw4t, he'll probably end up with cr4p in the cylinder all over the car. Valet £40, £30 out of pocket.

OP change the cylinder and don't listen to half the 6wk trained a4rses on hear, to try and repair it is false economy.

Get a professional in and get it changed professionally, peace of mind.

Oh! and let the plumber keep the cylinder, scraps the perk of the trade.

Cornish Crofter is a short course cowboy who masquerades as a timeserved plumber conning the general public and is an expert in bathroom installations 'THAT'S A SECOND YEAR APPRENTICE JOB'. Who are you going to take advice off?

18. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Got £558 for a van load of scrap today!

Flattened cylinders, copper tube, lead and brassware.

Prices are heading back up again!

19. Oh NO NOT AGAIN.

Oh NO NOT AGAIN. New Member

I got £1.50 for a pir of taps

20. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

This stuff from Screwfix makes an excellent repair on leaky stuff

Express Repair Putty.