pipe bender

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by garyseanlawton, Feb 13, 2015.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got hilmor here, don't like, only has lines on side for angles, I start marking & number of the angles with a blue sharpie indelible pen on the side.

My old pipe bender had pre etched degrees on the side.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Prefer my old set which were cheaper from the market. The bends were all marked.

This one bends nicely but nee d to check angles, going to take a while to get used to.

3. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Can't really help with this, I ain't a plumber, but in my days of pipe fitting, we used Hilmor. Yeah,OK in imperial sizes, but can't remember the angles being marked, as we had to use our skills to take account of "spring" in steel tubing. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

KIAB likes this.
  5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I don't think the hilmor bends pipe too bad, as I dont do plumbing regularly It takes time to familarise yourself with a different setup.

Going to practice bends on old length of pipes.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

One thing with the Hilmor it dosen't crease/ripple the pipe when bending, which is due to the quailty formers.

7. leesparkykent

I've heard rumours that the rothenberger isn't much cop.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well, their pipe freezers are a load of carp!:eek:
    Especially the Plumb Freeze Eco Pipe Freezing Kit, had the carp go into defrost,flooded the place.:mad:

leesparkykent likes this.
  9. leesparkykent

10. leesparkykent

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

using the Hilmor finding I am getting creasing on 22mm pipe, 15mm pipe seems fine.

It a fairly new bender and not seen much use only DIY.

I heard somewhere you can spray the former with lubricant to help stop the creasing of pipes?

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A pipe bender should bend without creasing the inner radius, but sometimes the creasing is down to the pipe used, & occasionally the pipe moving slightly when bending,I tend fit my bender in a workmate when bending 22mm,& use a smear of plumbers grease on the bending roller, but you could fabricate a a stand for the bender.
    But copper pipe of yesteryear, say 30 years ago I could bend easier without creasing.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I'll try some grease next time.