Pipe shock - banging when turn off taps

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by r18rws, Oct 21, 2016.

1. r18rws

r18rws Member

Moved into new house recently and the water pressure is nice and strong. Like that a lot BUT...

There are a few parts of the house that cause pipes to knock when turning off taps, some are upstairs others downstairs. Some are fine. The washing machine for example does this as water is fed in, but the kitchen tap doesn't.

I have read up that you can turn the pressure down, but prefer not to.
    Tried that anyway and get a really annoying noise from the stop cock in kitchen when any water is used.

If I can keep the pressure up, do arrestors work well? Where should thy be fitted, as close to the outlet of each item that creates the knocking or somewhere else?

2. W/Ms are bad for this as they shut off very quickly, whereas taps are usually shut off progressively - so not such a shock.

Anyhoo, turning down your mains stopcock doesn't affect the static water pressure, only the dynamic flow. But that's another story...

As you suspect, it's a case of a PRV to reduce the pressure properly (which you don't want) or shock arrestors. Or, locating the miscreant pipe(s) and clipping them further).

Not sure about the SAs - I think it's as you say, located as close to the cause as poss (eg W/M) but I doubt they are are critical.

Someone will advise on that, or it'll be on the 'net somewhere.

(If your mains pressure is really high - say 5 bar - then a PRV might be a good idea anyway as this can cause quite a bit of stress on all you water bits. You could tweak it down to, say, a compromise 4bar which would still be higher than most houses, and should be pretty decent.)

3. r18rws

r18rws Member

The banging seems to be most audible under floor boards or in a wall, so not simple to get to. That's why I am looking for a easier alternative, even if more costly.

The toilet has an isolating valve so can try turning that down, also the tap from pipe to washing machine to see if that makes any difference, or are you saying that the static water pressure woudl still be the same anyway?

The taps are half turn so turn off pretty sharply and probably not helping the situation.

Another questions - how do I find out what the pressure actually is?

4. Pressure and flow are related - connected - but are different things. If you were to turn down your mains stopcock a significant amount, then it almost certainly would prevent the 'shocks/bangs' - but by then your flow would have been reduced by an unacceptable amount as a result.

And, when every tap has been turned off again - when the water has stopped flowing - the pressure in your house would go back up to whatever it is now. In other words, you'd have reduced the flow but not the 'stopped' pressure. Yes, when you then open a tap, the pressure on the house side of the partially-closed stopcock will drop, because it cannot be maintained by the reduced flow. So, with a partially-closed mains stopcock, as you open and close a tap in the house, the pressure in the house's pipe will alter dramatically, from very low with a tap fully open, to right up to full mains pressure when shut. If you open two taps simultaneously, the pressure on the house side will drop will be affected even more dramatically, and flow reduced as a result.

This is why partially-closing off a mains stopcock in order to control 'pressure problems' is a very crude and unsatisfactory method.

The whole idea of a PRV, on the other hand, is that it will deliver a full flow as required, but never let the pressure at which it's being delivered rise above a set value, usually around 3bar-ish. So if you open a tap a wee bit, you'll get great flow and it'll be at 3 bar. If you open it up fully - or open a second tap at the same time - you should still get a great flow, and still delivered at 3 bar (in practice, the pressure will drop a bit).

So, the correct solution to problems caused by excessively high mains pressure is to fit a PRV.

And you measure mains pressure using a... pressure gauge :)

Ok, I think you are right - you will also be able to sort some of your shock issues by 'isolating' the individual causes - you say there are isolating valves on the main protagonists - the toilet (which I guess has a Fluidmaster-type valve that shuts off 'instantly'?) and the W/M (which we know does this.) So, yes, if you turn these isol valves down enough to reduce the water flow in to these appliances, then the shock effect of them shutting off should be reduced as well.

(The reason for this is, the water on both sides of the isol valve will be at exactly the same pressure when the appliance (toilet or W/M) is 'off'. However, when you operate the appliance, that end of the water pipe is 'opened' allowing the water out. The pressure on the appliance-side of the isol valve will therefore fall dramatically as it's not being 'held back' any more, and the pressure can no longer be supported from the mains as you've reduced the flow to it by that partly-closed isol valve. Then, when the appliance is 'full' and they shut off, the pressure in that pipe between the isol valve and the appliance doesn't 'snap' up instantly to full mains pressure any more (causing that shock) because you've partially closed that isol valve. Instead it'll take a fraction of a second to do so - to balance out either side of the isol valve - and this will act as a 'dampener'.)

You aren't still reading this, are you...? :rolleyes:

So, by all means try your trick; close off the isol valves until you can notice a difference - flush the loo and start to tweak off that isol valve until you can hear the flow reduce a wee bit. Then see if it still 'knocks' when it finally shuts off. If it does, try a further tweak closed...

You can try ditto with the W/M.

But bear in mind that actual taps will still need shutting off slowly by hand if you don't want the shocks caused by them - unless they have isol valves too?!

This is a compromise 'solution' tho' - you will have reduced flow to these items as a result. Whether that's a problem will, I guess, come down to which items are involved.

It's hard to tell what the best proper solution in your case is, PRV or shock arrestor. I mean, if your mains pressure is stupidly high (5 bar+) then I'd say you definitely need a PRV for the sake of your system. If, however, your mains pressure is very good but not stupid (~4bar) and the 'shock' is actually mainly caused by loose or not-well-clamped pipes, then a shock arrestor might be best ('cos you don't really want to reduce your pressure down from 4 that bad...)

By the way, I really need to get a life. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016
    r18rws likes this.
  5. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Good lecture there DA.

In short, measure the water pressure, if it is high fit a PRV.
    You do need to sort the knocking noise though. Eventually it will lead to some form of failure which means a potential flood.

So either a prv or get the floors up, find where the pipes are knocking and re-secure them.
    PRV it is then.

r18rws likes this.
  6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

that'll be 1/4 turn then

7. r18rws

r18rws Member

Great help thanks guys. Will have a nosy this week and see what I can figure out.

8. r18rws

r18rws Member

Ok. Update.

To buy a pressure gauge was about £15 and not sure where I could attach - washing machine maybe.
    Outside tap was obvious place but that's a self cut set up onto a 15mm pipe so wasn't sure it would be a true reading anyway.

A PRV from screwfix was only £27 with a gauge built in (£20 was a possibility but with reducers from 22mm to 15mm pipe which seemed like hard work and another place for a leak...). So assuming my pressure was high and that if I could get a reading assuming I would probably need a PRV anyway, I decided to just go for that instead.

Mains off at the stop cock and then drain as much as possible through the sink taps, cut the pipe at a sensible place and then fitted a Full bore 15mm isolation valve, thought might be useful in the future for mucking about with the PRV if it needed any adjustments, and then the PRV added further along the horizontal pipe between the stop cock and the isol valve.

PRV came set at 3bar so opened it all the way to see what I was running at initially and it was originally 5.5 - 6 bar, clearly too high.
    Adjust back down to 3 so now to see what happens...

9. Wow, that's high indeed.

Keep us posted.

If 3 bar sorts your issue, you could always tweak it up a bit more if you feel you have lost flow, especially when two taps are opened simultaneously. But if flow seems ok at 3 bar, then keep it there.

If the shock hasn't disappeared completely, then you may also need a shock arrestor. The PRV won't have been a waste, tho', as 5+ bar is really too high and will be putting unnecessary stress on yer bits. You'll probably even find that ceramic quarter-turn taps are more stiff in operation due to the pressure pushing the discs tightly together, and they'll almost certainly suffer problems sooner than they should.